Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 16, 2017   #946
encore
Tomatovillian™

emergency declared in south east wi. the fox river in burlington, wi. is something like 5 or 6 feet above flood stage , think we got 10 to 12 inches in a couple of days, can't really remember too much! was busy trying to stop water from coming in my window well that was full, yard was flooded, had a 1hp sump pump that ran continuos for 14 hours without shutting off, and another one in same pit going off every few minutes, for a couple of hours, the one was still going off every 50 secs. yesterday, haven't checked yet today... too much water in a short time!!1---tom
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #947
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Oh my Tom, I hope it all works out for you. Stay safe.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #948
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

I guess we could use a little of that rain! Here, we are being threatened with a total watering ban if usage does not go down over all. If that happens I will be taking many baths and use that water. Friends with wells will bring me water when they pass through town. It would be a drag after all the time, work and expense not to do whatever I can. I hope it is an empty threat.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #949
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Although I don't see a cloud in the sky, there is a 30% chance of rain today and tonight. Then highs around 100 with high humidity and the heat index around 105-110. Welcome to prototypical July in this part of Texas.

It's time to be glad we have shade trees, fans, and air conditioners. It's also time to break out the heavy curtains to keep the heat out. It's funny in a way - up north, thermal curtains are for keeping the cold out and the heat in - here it's the opposite.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #950
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

It's 80 degrees and 76% humidity with lots of dark clouds in the sky. No rain as of yet.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 16, 2017   #951
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

All week they were saying it would be in the mid-80s today. It just hit 95.

Yesterday they said it would be cloudy all day with a chance of scattered showers in the afternoon.

Too bad I believed them and hit my plants with some bleach spray. By noon time the clouds cleared out, the sun started shining, the temp climbed, and the plants started suffering...

At least with last night's cooler temps and today's bright sunshine and heat, they've already had a mini-explosion of top growth, and the pollinators are going to town on the higher flower trusses that are blooming like crazy.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #952
imp
Tomatovillian™

Well, the rain coming through and scattered clouds now have lowered our temps to the lower 90's today, but we will be back at normal temps bumping 99 to 103 or so all next week again. Add a few more degrees to that for me as we are surrounded by pavement and such.

Weirdly, the tomato plants up near the brick porch, major heat sink, are the ones doing the best! Go figure.

The chickens will be laying hard boiled eggs soon enough here.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #953
encore
Tomatovillian™

another 2-3 inches expected weds. thru fri, could wait and give my sump pump a break, it's still going off, west of me by the fox river sure don't need it!!!
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #954
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

It's raining and came down hard for about 5 minutes, just sprinkling now. It's 76 degrees and 89% humidity.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 17, 2017   #955
imp
Tomatovillian™

You have too much and we could use a bit more - normal as usual. We got almost 2 inches the other morning.
Old July 18, 2017   #956
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Had about 20 minutes of hard rain around 4:00 am this morning. I have pulled/cut up two roma tomato plants and the soil is not very wet at all. That just goes to show how my plants were wilting a few weeks back and my loss of cucumbers because of it. The soil is moist but not moist enough to get the plants through the day of drinking.

It's 79 degrees and 84% humidity out there right now. We are supposed to get more rain today but I watered anyway.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 18, 2017   #957
imp
Tomatovillian™

All this next week, we will be busting the hundreds. This system is parked and going to stay awhile.

Geez, I wish I could figure out the order of things for irrigating .
Old July 19, 2017   #958
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Imp, in a normal year here, the upper level high that stalls over us - making it so hot here in Texas/Oklahoma from mid July through mid September - I think is going to move northeast because of the upper airflow. It has happened the past two years, and what I have observed is that that it is going to happen this year too.

I'm not a meteorologist by any means, but I do spend most of my time outside enjoying nature - this has not been a normal year for us. Stuffs a changin'.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #959
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

We got about a total of 2" rain , during the past 3 days. And the high temps are around 90F.
But I see mid 90s in the near forecast. But all in all, in SOUTHEAST NC, we should not complaint.
I am expecting at least 6 more weeks of hot weather.
By September the days will be much shorter and the solar altitude lower.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #960
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Hot and sun shining out there today. It's 91 degrees and 56% humidity with a chance of rain. We also have a heat indice warning of 105-109 degrees today. I watered but I also had to spray again for the mites on my watermelon that I hope I can keep alive long enough to get at least the four fruits that are on it.

~Margaret Atwood~