Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 1, 2006   #1
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Default Una's Yellow Cherry and Snow White Cherry

Hi All,

Are Una's Yellow Cherry and Snow White Cherry distinct colors of yellow? My labels faded off in the sun. I can only make out the word cherry on two containers. I did an online search and could not find a picture of Una's Yellow Cherry.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Angelique,

All I can say is that Una's is described as being a yellow cherry in the SSE Yearbooks and thus I would assume it would be a deeper yellow than is Snow White or any so called white variety.

The whites can be an ivory to pale yellow to yellow depending on the specific variety, the degree of UV and the amount of foliage cover.

I haven't grown Una's, but when a variety is described as being yellow, all things being the same in the mater patch, I think that a yellow would be a deeper color that a so described white.
Old May 2, 2006   #3
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for the info. I was a little concerned, because I read that Snow White can get quite yellow if uncovered in extreme heat. If they both taste great, than no big deal.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006   #4
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Unas several times. It is definately a true yellow color...I don't know about the taste being great. I grew it in a pretty long, hot season for us and the flavor was lacking....My mother asked me never to give her cherry tomato plants again after I gave her some Unas seedlings to grow !
This year I am trying Yellow Tommy Toes. I would like to try Snow White And Dr. Carolyn next year.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006   #5
Goddessemer6
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Snow White for the first time this year too, maybe we can compare notes at the end of the season, I'm also growing Coyote, another so called ivory-yellow, which is close to ripe fruit, I'm so excited!

The beauty of being human is the ability to choose compassion over cruelty!
Goddessemer6 is offline   Reply With Quote