Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 24, 2017   #1
TNTiger
Tomatovillian™

Default EarthBox AWS Problem

Does anyone know what makes the AUTOMATIC WATERING SYSTEM SENSOR stop working? I have 8 Earthboxes boxes on my Automatic Watering System and every year, I have to replace a few sensors. I finally took a few of them apart and the design is very simple (but brilliant) so I can't figure out why they aren't working and what I need to do to make them functional again.

I played around with the ones that stopped working and got the water flowing again for a little while but it quit again. Water flows freely through the small nozzle in the sensor head so I know it's not clogged. Something about the pneumatic diaphragm is off kilter and keeping it closed even when the water level is low enough that it should be flowing. Any ideas?

Thanks!
TNTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

TNT,

Yes, I've had a few that don't operate from time to time. I have been able to fix them by attaching a section of 1/4" tubing - then sucking on the tubing (you want to use a long section of new tubing for this as you don't want to get a mouthful of any back-flow, if you know what I mean.

The AWS is a brilliant invention (I read the Patent) and these units have saved me countless hours of watering my 20 EarthBox / EarthTainers by hand.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; July 24, 2017 at 02:58 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #3
TNTiger
Tomatovillian™

Yes, they are great when they are working! Saves me hours of watering!! I was really lucky that I caught it this time because the boxes were still damp and the plants were fine but it was my Saturday "snack" time which is when I also lift and check the sensors. It took a bunch of water to fill one of the boxes so I think I was on the skinny edge of a disaster!

I may have already ruined the sensors because I unscrewed the 3 little screws to see if something had gotten inside that was messing up the sensor. Is there any hope of ever getting them working again?

With your solution are you saying that you remove the water supply tubing then attache a new tube and apply suction? Does this just help get the diaphragm reset in the correct position (or something?). In my case, the water isn't flowing at all. Do you think this will help? I probably have some 1/4 tubing that I can use.

Thanks!
Old July 24, 2017   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

If you carefully took out the 3 screws, you probably have not done any damage to that sensor.

Disconnect the water supply tube and attach a new section of tube to use for creating a vacuum - this usually "resets" the diaphragm or clears out what was causing it to stay closed.

Worked for me.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #5
TNTiger
Tomatovillian™

I'll give it a try! Meanwhile I ordered some new sensors. Filling these things up is a nuisance especially since I'm not used to having to do it!