Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 9, 2018   #16
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

The good old New Big Dwarf is still a good choice, with pink tomatoes with great texture and good taste. Can be really quite productive. Taste is balanced, maybe a bit on the sweet side, compared to let's say Rosella Purple which is a lot sweeter.
5 gal is ok good. 7 is better if you have them.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #17
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I read that about old new big dwarf too and was wondering if that would be a good one to buy. geesh I forgot where I read that.

There was also another one mentioned that had a assertive taste that I was seriously considering too. I remember when my mom went through chemo that almost everything tasted like metal. (She ate mostly potatoes and bananas and those little cups of applesauce with lots of cinnamon added to them). And maybe an assertive tomato might nix that metal taste? or maybe make it worse. Ugh, I don't know
Nattybo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #18
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

BC runs in my family. Mother treated 2x, grandmother,etc.

Several books out there on how to eat during treatment....stumbled upon it at the local library some years ago....

Mushrooms, 10 grams a day decreases BC rates-- I keep mushrooms in the refridgerator to nibble.

Im sorry I cant recomment any dwarf varieties, because this is my first year growing dwarfs. Rosella Crimspn and Tasmanian Chocolate.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #19
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattybo! View Post
Yes, I read that about old new big dwarf too and was wondering if that would be a good one to buy. geesh I forgot where I read that.

There was also another one mentioned that had a assertive taste that I was seriously considering too. I remember when my mom went through chemo that almost everything tasted like metal. (She ate mostly potatoes and bananas and those little cups of applesauce with lots of cinnamon added to them). And maybe an assertive tomato might nix that metal taste? or maybe make it worse. Ugh, I don't know
Don't give her Metallica.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #20
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have hrown half a dozen dwarf varieties in the past.
I liked Dwarf Purple Heart for its shape and color.
Now that I have garden space I see no reason to grow dwarfs.
Yes, 5 gallon bag or any type of container that size is adequate for dwarfs.
To support need a cage or stake

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #21
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

Mushrooms? Wow. I had no idea. I remember learning here on Tville about certain varieties of wild mushrooms as a vitamin D source (winter chanterelles?). After digging online for a bit I found a source that said any of edible mushrooms that grow in/with a bit of sun/have color to them are good sources of vitamin D. Portobellos are easy to find in stores so I bought some 2 months ago. I noticeable felt better after eating them.

You have inspired me Black Krim! I love your idea of keeping mushrooms on hand to nibble on. The next time I am at the store I am going to buy a pint of the baby portobellos, slice them thin and dehydrate them. And keep them at my desk so that I can nibble on them.

Sorry about BC running in your family too Why didn't I think of the search words "what to eat while getting chemo?" I seem to be saying that ALOT lately, "why didn't I think of that."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
BC runs in my family. Mother treated 2x, grandmother,etc.

Several books out there on how to eat during treatment....stumbled upon it at the local library some years ago....

Mushrooms, 10 grams a day decreases BC rates-- I keep mushrooms in the refridgerator to nibble.

Im sorry I cant recomment any dwarf varieties, because this is my first year growing dwarfs. Rosella Crimspn and Tasmanian Chocolate.
Old March 10, 2018   #22
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Don't give her Metallica.

Nan
Ha! and not the rock band either. But Brahms would definitely be good.
Old March 10, 2018   #23
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reminder that dwarfs still need staking. My memory sure is not what it used to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I have hrown half a dozen dwarf varieties in the past.
I liked Dwarf Purple Heart for its shape and color.
Now that I have garden space I see no reason to grow dwarfs.
Yes, 5 gallon bag or any type of container that size is adequate for dwarfs.
To support need a cage or stake
Old March 10, 2018   #24
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Last year I found that both cage and three or four 4' stakes, depending on how man branches they had, were necessary to keep the dwarfs from sagging once they had their heavy fruit on them.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #25
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Here's my additions to the "best" varieties..

Coastal Pride Orange - Tania states it's the best tasting dwarf she's grown.
Juane Flamme
Spike (has carrot/fern leaves)
Lucinda (has carrot/fern leaves)
I grew all the above in 5 gallon buckets from Tractor Supply and they did great!

Seconds on Wherokowhai, it's a dwarf version of Lucky Cross and I love it!
Iditarod Red, for a great salad size red that's also super when roasted, lotsa tomatoes.
Cherokee Tiger Large, chartreuse foliage, large red w/yellow stripes, yum.
Uluru Ochre, really different and really tasty!
Dwarf Pink Passion, great tasting heart, 4-8 oz.
I grew this second lot in 3 1/2 gal. nursery containers and they grew well, too.

Sending prayers, too..
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #26
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattybo! View Post
Mushrooms? Wow. I had no idea. I remember learning here on Tville about certain varieties of wild mushrooms as a vitamin D source (winter chanterelles?). After digging online for a bit I found a source that said any of edible mushrooms that grow in/with a bit of sun/have color to them are good sources of vitamin D. Portobellos are easy to find in stores so I bought some 2 months ago. I noticeable felt better after eating them.

You have inspired me Black Krim! I love your idea of keeping mushrooms on hand to nibble on. The next time I am at the store I am going to buy a pint of the baby portobellos, slice them thin and dehydrate them. And keep them at my desk so that I can nibble on them.

Sorry about BC running in your family too Why didn't I think of the search words "what to eat while getting chemo?" I seem to be saying that ALOT lately, "why didn't I think of that."

My mom changed her diet. She is eating very high quality foods. Pure clean foods, like unbreaded meats and fresh vegetables. SHe has lost a lot of weight too. Generally eats much less food. Basically gone keto.

She eats almonds, 5 a day.

The recommend is 10g mushrooms a day on average for 60% decrease.

Do search out those books----when I have delti wth oncologist I was amazed at her limited knowledge. Hence my push to learn how to prevent. THe info IS out there.

Also BC is linked to colon cancer, screning for that would be important.

My mom loves to garden. She used to be president of the state garden club where she lives. We exchange tomato plants in the spring!
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote