Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 16, 2006   #1
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Default Is this disease, pest or overwatering?

A little info...
I sowed all my seeds in one large container, all well marked and put under shoplights, in cool basement, after first sprout. I noticed the Lithuanian's had this on their leaves a couple of days before I transplanted them all to individual containers. While transplanting, I noticed it also starting on the Grub's Mystery Green. All of the other 22 plus plants are fine. I had misted the top of the seed starting mix until most had sprouted and had only watered once before transplant.

I have looked around and the closest thing I could find was a potassium deficiency (in seed starter?) or a mildew problem (no white powder visible), but since the basement is cooler, I'm not sure. Other than that, I figure it may be over watering, but then all of them were in the same container and only those two varieties were affected. I'm also surprised that the two showing this are both potato leaf...
So, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? And what to do about it? Will they survive? Or should I destroy them? It is my first year growing from seed...
Thanks!
Cathy
Woodenzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Cathy, looks like it might be CRUD* to me. I would segregate those seedlings from others and pinch off all affected leaves. CRUD generally reverses once the plants are taken outside.

* thought by many to be an aberrant form of early blight, if I recall correctly.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2006   #3
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Suze!
Couldn't find much info on that, but they are outside now, so hopefully they will come around.

Cathy
Old April 19, 2006   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think CRUD,a name I almost regret coining, , b'c CRUD usually is seen as browning along the entire leaf edge and I've seldom seen it on PL varieties either.

One other possibility is fertilizer tip burn.

Another possibility is over watering.

Varieties do respond differently to fertilizer, to water, and to other things such as BER susceptibility in fact, so it doesn't bother me that it's only two varieties affected.

Cathy, at this point I wouldn't worry about it that much, If the situation changes, do let us know.
Old April 21, 2006   #5
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the info Carolyn.
They seem to be doing much better now that they are outside. Perhaps it's because they don't have me to dote over them as much as when they were indoors.
Quote:
Varieties do respond differently to fertilizer, to water, and to other things such as BER susceptibility in fact, so it doesn't bother me that it's only two varieties affected.
I'll try to keep this thought in mind while growing them out. I think once I get the plants to the size I'm used to buying, I'll be alright.
Thanks again Suze, Carolyn!
Cathy