Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 23, 2013   #1
sio2rocks
Tomatovillian™

Default Mittleider Gardening and Variants

I have noticed several people on this site have referenced this method of gardening and several variations that have worked. I am curious to hear more about individuals' experiences trying this method. I found this video detailing the construction of telegraph style trellises: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFwKC...JViw&index=149
They are similar to ones suggested in the Mittleider gardening book for anyone interested. Specifically I am curious about the fertilizer regimens and how effective they are in the long term.

Colin
sio2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2013   #2
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sio2rocks View Post
I have noticed several people on this site have referenced this method of gardening and several variations that have worked. I am curious to hear more about individuals' experiences trying this method. I found this video detailing the construction of telegraph style trellises: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFwKC...JViw&index=149
They are similar to ones suggested in the Mittleider gardening book for anyone interested. Specifically I am curious about the fertilizer regimens and how effective they are in the long term.

Colin
Same here. Are the 'micronutrients' used really beneficial? Here is the ratio for their micronutrients.

They really want you to buy their own packs though which is kind of turning me off from this.
kevn357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2013   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I tried a variation on their method with some of my fall tomatoes last year. Instead of working in the dry mix I used Miracle Grow, Kelp and Seaweed, Fish Fertilizer, humic acid and Molasses and chelated iron all applied with a hose end sprayer. I tried to do this every 7 to 10 days and I must say the results were very good. I alternated the application of some of the fertilizers so I didn't put too much of one thing down too often. I used a more dilute solution than if I were giving them a monthly boost but still more fertilizer than I would ordinarily apply. The plants didn't get a whole lot bigger but the health of the plants did seem better than on my fall tomatoes and production was much better than usual with larger than normal fruit for that time of year. I am going to try this on some of my spring plants this year and compare to the usual fertilized plants. I worry that this might be too much fertilizer in the fast growing spring plants and I might get just too much foliage growth resulting in too much pruning work. During the hot dry weather of late summer and fall I always give my plants a little extra but never that often til last year.

The Miracle Grow and other fertilizers I used have a fair amount of trace elements but I may order the Mittleider micro nutrients and see if they make a significant difference. I have been gardening in the same spot for many years and I'm sure some of my trace elements are a bit scarce by now.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2013   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Check out the link below. I think you will find some interesting products. I've dealt with him before and purchased his products as well. A+ service to go along with A+ products. If you got a question about his products shoot him an e-mail and he will be more than happy to answer your questions. Ami

http://www.tandjenterprises.com/
Old March 24, 2013   #5
sio2rocks
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link Ami. Several of their products look interesting. I might have to try a few.
Old March 25, 2013   #6
sio2rocks
Tomatovillian™

I just ordered a sampler pack of yucca extract, biovam mycorrhizae, and the Planters II micronutrients from T&J. I ordered the Mittleider micronutrient blend a few days ago but may regret that because the Planters II mix is much cheaper $10 for 10 lbs. I will compare the two methods in a side by side comparison on tomato plants.
Old March 25, 2013   #7
tsipgolf12
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I just ordered a sampler pack of yucca extract, biovam mycorrhizae, and the Planters II micronutrients from T&J. I ordered the Mittleider micronutrient blend a few days ago but may regret that because the Planters II mix is much cheaper $10 for 10 lbs. I will compare the two methods in a side by side comparison on tomato plants.
I started using the mittleider micronutrient blend March4 when I put my seedlings into the greenhouse along with the calcium nitrate that Carolyn Phillips uses in her system with
the mittleider micronutirents. To early to tell much although they look good. I too am considering the planters II micronutrients and the biovam mychorrizae for the garden later this spring. The brix information at the site was new to me and certainly eye opening.
tsipgolf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2013   #8
sio2rocks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsipgolf12 View Post
I started using the mittleider micronutrient blend March4 when I put my seedlings into the greenhouse along with the calcium nitrate that Carolyn Phillips uses in her system with
the mittleider micronutirents. To early to tell much although they look good. I too am considering the planters II micronutrients and the biovam mychorrizae for the garden later this spring. The brix information at the site was new to me and certainly eye opening.
Where did you get your calcium nitrate if I may ask. I have had issues finding it for a reasonable price from a respected reseller. I don't really want to buy it from ebay as I don't trust most sellers there.
P.S. got my Mittleider magic micronutrient blend today in the mail (Thurs->Monday shipping...Fast). Will blend my pre-plant mix and weekly-mix later this week. Should get my T&J by the end of the week.

Colin
Old March 26, 2013   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...te%2Caps%2C312
Old March 26, 2013   #10
tsipgolf12
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Where did you get your calcium nitrate if I may ask. I have had issues finding it for a reasonable price from a respected reseller. I don't really want to buy it from ebay as I don't trust most sellers there.
P.S. got my Mittleider magic micronutrient blend today in the mail (Thurs->Monday shipping...Fast). Will blend my pre-plant mix and weekly-mix later this week. Should get my T&J by the end of the week.

Colin
I got a 50lb bag of greenhouse grade at a local agri supply Southern States for around $19..can not recall the exact amount. The attached link is a pdf with product analysis which can probably be locally sourced. Cheapest source that I found. Probably a 10 year supply for me.

RWG

http://www.canitratedirect.com/Calcinit%20PDS.pdf
Old March 26, 2013   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

RWG you better keep it in an air conditioned environment as it will solidify into an unusable brick if humidity gets to it. That is one great price. I wish I could find it around here.
Old March 26, 2013   #12
tsipgolf12
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
RWG you better keep it in an air conditioned environment as it will solidify into an unusable brick if humidity gets to it. That is one great price. I wish I could find it around here.
I found it at Southern States..When I checked for calcium nitrate on their website they showed no such product...I stopped by their store and asked for calcium nitrate and they said they did not have calcium nitrate...then the manager checked their listed inventory and found the greenhouse grade Calcinit product. You might call them if there is a store near you and see if they have this product http://www.canitratedirect.com/Calcinit%20PDS.pdf..failing that what companies supply greenhouse growers in your area...that might be a source near you. Maybe I should divide up the 50 lb bag into smaller amounts and put them into ziplock bags so at least I had something I could handle better than a 50lb block. Thanks for the heads up on avoiding the block problem.

RWG
Old March 27, 2013   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

There are 4 stores within 35 miles of me so I will give them a call. Thanks for the info.

Bill
Old April 16, 2014   #14
frugalhomestea
Tomatovillian™

Have you tried your variation of the mittleider method with liquid fertilizers again? How did it go? I am trying the granules this season, but I think I would prefer liquid fertilizing. Thanks, Eric
frugalhomestea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2016   #15
tjinpgh
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Forgive me for reviving an old thread but, did you ever do the comparison on this? If so, how did the plants you used the Planters II on compare to the Mittleider Magic Micro Mix?
tjinpgh is offline   Reply With Quote