Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 24, 2016   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Looks to me like a mutation is lurking in the variety Carbon Copy.

Carolyn
Old January 25, 2016   #17
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

That's cool. I have grown an awful lot of tomatoes and I have never seen a white seedling either.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2016   #18
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I've seen white mutations in corn but not in tomato. It is interesting that chlorophyll production is impacted but anthocyanin is not. Unfortunately, these seedlings are doomed, lack of chlorophyll will prevent normal growth beyond the cotyledon stage. Grafting onto a normal seedling with normal leaves might allow them to survive and produce fruit.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2016   #19
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
I've seen white mutations in corn but not in tomato. It is interesting that chlorophyll production is impacted but anthocyanin is not. Unfortunately, these seedlings are doomed, lack of chlorophyll will prevent normal growth beyond the cotyledon stage. Grafting onto a normal seedling with normal leaves might allow them to survive and produce fruit.
Would it possibly work to split the lower stem vertically and attach it to a normal seedling that I also split the stem on and maintain both root systems? I've never had much luck grafting and can't visualize how to graft it normally and keep green leaves.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2016   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Maybe they should go in bubbles.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2016   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
Would it possibly work to split the lower stem vertically and attach it to a normal seedling that I also split the stem on and maintain both root systems? I've never had much luck grafting and can't visualize how to graft it normally and keep green leaves.
ThE grafting would have to be done ASAP after the cotyledon stage and I simply cannot see any grafting/surgical procedures being able to be done at that stage.

But, as is usually said, why not try it, for the benefit of the seedling and in a larger sense, the benefit of the entire tomato community world wide,

Carolyn
Old January 25, 2016   #22
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
ThE grafting would have to be done ASAP after the cotyledon stage and I simply cannot see any grafting/surgical procedures being able to be done at that stage.

But, as is usually said, why not try it, for the benefit of the seedling and in a larger sense, the benefit of the entire tomato community world wide,

Carolyn
I can tell that this mutation/Albino plant isn't going to make it without a lot of help, and "The benefit of the entire tomato community world wide" sounds very good to me.

I have not read about how to graft. So some guidance would be much appreciated

I have plenty of root stock to choose from. I did an early test planting of some Cherokee Purple and Stump of the World from the seeds I got from Worth from 2007. These were started back in mid-December They are still in their cells (I'll add a picture). There are also Ceylon and Purple calabash to choose from in this seed tray. CP are the tallest ones.

You might wonder why the plants are so small? It is an experiment that I am doing that I will explain in a different thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0090.JPG (59.3 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0092.JPG (78.4 KB, 125 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2016   #23
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

This sounds really neat! I will be following this thread.
clkingtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2016   #24
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

How long will the energy in the cotyledon's keep it alive? I should ask how long does the energy in the cotyledon's typically keep a seedling alive? (No one can know about this specific one). Do they usually take a seedling to the first few true leaves? I am out of town for a couple of days, so mine is on its own right now.

When I get back home Wednesday, if it is still alive, I will try a graft of sorts, but I want to let it get as large and strong as it will first. Will it likely keel over suddenly or will I see it decline?

Lots of questions - probably no answers......

Last edited by dfollett; January 25, 2016 at 03:29 PM.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2016   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It will die a slow and horrible death from starvation.

Worth
Old January 25, 2016   #26
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Robert just called my attention to this thread. I have never seen a white seedling of any variety. I just sowed around 600 Carbon Copy seeds yesterday and will watch them closely. It is a puzzle to me also and will enjoy seeing where if anywhere this leads. I am in agreement that it can not get required energy to grow naturally. Graft away, nothing to lose, kinda exciting waiting for the outcome.

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2016   #27
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

That'll be fun, Ron. Maybe you'll get some variegated CC's to play with. It would be interesting to know what percentage turn out to be albino's. I've never come across one either, but maybe I will when I germinate some CC F7 this year. Not to worry, as I'll grow some extra seeds because I wouldn't want to be without my Carbon Copy!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2016   #28
4season
Tomatovillian™

If plants exude sugars and other phytochemicals from their roots to nourish beneficial bacteria and fungi, they ought to be able to absorb sugar for energy.
As a side note, about 20 years ago I had one normal green tomato plant that had the top turn pure white. I don't remember type or if there was any fruit from the white section.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2016   #29
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The tomato plant still looks like it did in post #6. The cotyledon doesn't look like leaves yet.

So I'm thinking it is too early to attempt to graft?

I did read a lot about grafting and watched a couple of videos, but in all cases, the plants were bigger than the one that I have growing now.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2016   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I think a graft will kill them at this age.

Worth