Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 12, 2016   #1
Waiting
Tomatovillian™

Default Campbell's Tomato Soup

Campbell's was mentioned in the Rutger's thread and there's something I've been wondering about.

I hadn't eaten that soup since probably the 80's. I used to eat it a lot. I bought a can a few month's ago and the taste was completely different, not even edible, at least for me.

I'm guessing they're using a different variety (something new and improved, I'm sure).

So I guess my question is two-fold, did they, indeed, change varieties, and if so, what variety did they use in the 50's, 60's, 70's - the KC-146?

Thanks,

gary
Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2016   #2
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

I am in the minority, but I actually like Campbell's Tomato Soup with grilled cheese sandwiches. My wife and children dislike it, to put it mildly.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2016   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavid View Post
I am in the minority, but I actually like Campbell's Tomato Soup with grilled cheese sandwiches. My wife and children dislike it, to put it mildly.

That used to be my favorite school lunch. Now, I can't stand the soup part--the grilled cheese sandwich is still a favorite, just not with American cheese.

I found a great homemade tomato soup recipe in a low carb cookbook back when the Adkins and South Beach diets were big. It became my new standard for tomato soup.

It's going to be a soup kind of weekend around here. I'll have to dig out the recipe and see if I have all the necessary ingredients. I know I have plenty of the tomato purée I remember it calling for.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

That's very interesting that you think Campbell's has changed. I think it's horrible. Acidic and disgusting.

When I lived in England I ADORED Heinz tomato soup, and we couldn't get it in Canada, at least I never saw it anywhere.

Although I went back to England frequently, it was probably 25 years before I decided to treat myself to a can of Heinz tomato soup, and was I ever disappointed .

I figured that my taste buds must have changed over the years.

I can still remember the taste of that wonderful soup......

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; February 13, 2016 at 07:58 AM.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #5
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Deja vu, we had tomato soup and grill cheese for supper. Healthy Choice and didn't even use milk, it never had a chance. Wasn't a spitter, but I didn't finish it.

I had a Wendy's fish sandwich combo for lunch, it was pretty good.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #6
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I love Campbell's tomato soup and always have. If it has changed over the years I certainly have not noticed.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #7
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Pauldavid, I just had that the other day!! lol Gotta soak some crackers in it though! That's what I grew up with.
I still like the tomato soup, and sometimes the Chicken noodle for old times sake, but I never choose the others ones. Better choices out there. Homemade is always the best!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #8
matereater
Tomatovillian™

I love Campbell's tomato soup, but I make it with milk not water, makes a big difference.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #9
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

I love Campbell's tomato soup with grilled cheese. Now admittedly I fuss it up a bit with some onion powder and basil. I have one recipe I use it in also.
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #10
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

And nothing less than 2%. This is proper method.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #11
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I usually take my thick home canned Tomato Juice and depending on my taste buds at the moment, add a couple pinches of this or that spice and It always is great. Like so many others, I grew up on "Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup". But I can definitely say that Campbell's doesn't taste like it used to. It may have something to do with them "concentrating" everything.

Half a dozen years ago, my database says that some source from somewhere said that Campbell's Tomato Soup was using the Campbells 1327 tomato. And another source said that they also were using the Campbells 146 tomato. I really don't know

I also like Chicken Noodle, but now find some of the "store labels" taste better than Campbell's. I've tried everything I can think of to help the taste, but Campbell's, in my opinion, has simply "gone down the ol' porcelain facility".
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; February 13, 2016 at 09:03 AM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #12
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

matereater, you're right! ALWAYS with milk! Makes a huge difference!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting View Post
Campbell's was mentioned in the Rutger's thread and there's something I've been wondering about.

I hadn't eaten that soup since probably the 80's. I used to eat it a lot. I bought a can a few month's ago and the taste was completely different, not even edible, at least for me.

I'm guessing they're using a different variety (something new and improved, I'm sure).

So I guess my question is two-fold, did they, indeed, change varieties, and if so, what variety did they use in the 50's, 60's, 70's - the KC-146?

Thanks,

gary
Gary, I've been offering KC-146 in recent seed offerings here but it's not the only one they developed, far from it since they had a very active breeding program.

I think if you lookin the Legacy Forum here you might find a thread about many of the ones they did develop and of course my memory may not be perfect.

https://njaes.rutgers.edu/tomato-var...ety.asp?KC+146

Carolyn, who just found the Campbell one in the Legacy Forum naming some of the ones developed between Campbell and Rutgers

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=16379
Old February 13, 2016   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I cant decide which one I hate worse, tomato soup or split pea.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #15
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I agree that you gotta add milk to all the condensed soups. I like Campbell's condensed chicken, mushroom and celery.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote