Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 26, 2017   #16
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

May be there is a version that has leaves that look P like and some L like.
The first picture in the first post looks like PL and the second one Rl.
And the ones in the last picture look more lik PL too
If a varity mutate to PL , it can mutate to something in between RL and PL. Me thinks

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2017   #17
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
I'm growing PL plants Green Giant, Galina's, and Japanese Black Trifele this year, and all have the "mitten" terminal leaflet as mature plants. I think that's actually the norm? The secondary leaflets are often completely smooth, i.e., no "thumbs". And when they were seedlings, the leaves had no "thumbs".
I checked stump of the world and aunt ginny's purple today. They both had mostly smooth leaves with the terminal mittens. Aunt ginnys "smoothness" was greater than the stump, but I they are both clearly PL when compared to RL next to them.

The PL do seem to last a bit longer than RL against early blight/septoria. I was honestly skeptical about that in previous years, but this time those PL heirlooms are next to RL heirlooms. Whereas most years I have had them next to RL hybrids and it seemed like PL vs RL was a wash.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2017   #18
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Nematode, I've been waiting for others to reply. I think that leaf type is called rugose. Last year, I asked what that leaf shape is and several people told me it is rugose. Mine looked just like your second picture.

I don't remember which thread it was on?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017   #19
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Nematode, I've been waiting for others to reply. I think that leaf type is called rugose. Last year, I asked what that leaf shape is and several people told me it is rugose. Mine looked just like your second picture.

I don't remember which thread it was on?
Both regular leaves and potato leaves can be rugose. It means the leaves are thick and crinkled/puckered. Many dwarf varieties have this trait. It think rugose leaves are also very dark green--all the rugose leaved varieties I've grown have been. Not sure whether rugose leaves with lighter coloration exist.

EDIT: I did find this blog entry of a person growing out a cross in which some of the plants are rugose and variegated, which is kind of cool. https://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.c...um-update.html
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017   #20
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
No expert here by any stretch, at first glance I thought 1st pic pl, 2nd pic rl. Now I am very curious!
This ^^^
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017   #21
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I've said this before.
Why do we think leaf form can only be classified as PL or RL? Especially now with all the crossing of every kind of leaf type, there are going to be gradations of in between types that show up with characteristics that may lean toward one end of the spectrum or the other. I guess you can call anything with a bit of a serration as RL. In reality, genetics will spread looks all over the place, just like in humans.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I used to have a wonderful link in my faves from Germany where 6 different PL leaf forms were shown and described in German, that's OK, but the last time I tried to pull it up it was a dead link,and that was several,well,many years ago.

I got that link from Spudleaf Willie,aka Bill Malin,many years ago.

I don't get hung up that much on leaf form,since it's the fruits that interest me the most,what they taste like,etc.

And if given a choice between the same variety,one that's RL and the other PL,I will always go with the PL one.

Carolyn