Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 10, 2018   #16
seasyde
Tomatovillian™

Is this the thread?

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=41677

Well, it appears the link won't work, but the the title was Help Me Find a Good Hose

Last edited by seasyde; March 10, 2018 at 02:20 PM. Reason: link not working
seasyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #17
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasyde View Post
Is this the thread?

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=41677

Well, it appears the link won't work, but the the title was Help Me Find a Good Hose
I saw that, but I'm not in it, lol. I know I was in one for the Flexilla hose and Imp remembers it too. So, I don't know where it went but that thread had a good amount of information on hoses for sure. My link to it works!

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...find+good+hose

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #18
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

the one thing I have found in a good hose... is they are never light weight hoses. they all weigh a ton. I have a grey neverkink... which I hate, the black rubber Sears one... which is HEAVY and a couple lifetime warranty hoses I bought at a grocery store. they are bright green with a black stripe down them. I can't kink them to shut them off. I have to turn off the water to change water head fittings if I don't have a valve attached to the hose. No matter what hose I have I am glad to not have to carry the water in a bucket.
Old March 10, 2018   #19
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I once had a hose with aluminum couplings and left it connected to the hose bib. It was impossible to remove after about six months+ of sitting there. Aluminum and the brass hose bib have a chemical reaction.

Be careful when buying hoses with aluminum couplings (Flexzilla). Detach the hose from the hose bib every two months or so. A couple of wraps of Teflon tape should help but still detach it from time to time.

Better yet buy a hose with brass couplings.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #20
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
I once had a hose with aluminum couplings and left it connected to the hose bib. It was impossible to remove after about six months+ of sitting there. Aluminum and the brass hose bib have a chemical reaction.

Be careful when buying hoses with aluminum couplings (Flexzilla). Detach the hose from the hose bib every two months or so. A couple of wraps of Teflon tape should help but still detach it from time to time.

this is spot on! I have quick connect couplers and a few of them are aluminum. they get corroded and I have to break them apart with pipe wrenches to unscrew them.
Old March 10, 2018   #21
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I couldn't be happier with the hose I purchased last year. I posted in the above mentioned thread , it's the Flexogen hose. I was trying to decide between it and the black Sears hose. I require 150 ft. , the Sears would have been much too heavy for me.
The Flexogen is a sturdy yet lightweight hose with brass connections. Very rarely kinks to boot. Highly recommend!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #22
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

This drives me nuts. I have bought and thrown away way too many hoses, and that includes kink resistant hoses. I need something better but I am tired of throwing my money away. I don't understand why some hoses people seem to love and say they never kink but then a minority of people will complain that the exact same hose kinks constantly. I ended up not buying one last time this was discussed because reviews were so inconsistent. I just looked at the Amazon review of the Sears black rubber hose. Same thing. 70% say it doesn't kink and 30% say it kinks all the time. That is just the "verified purchases". The Gilmore Pro hose gets 4-5 stars but one guy shows a pic of the hose he received which came pre-kinked under the cardboard where you couldn't see it and he claims the kink never worked itself out, seems to there permanently. Good grief.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #23
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

You can preven kink by :
== by looping figure 8 shape.
== keep your hose in the shade if possible.
== After shutting the water ,leave the end valve (wand ) open. So the heat and sun won,t pressurize it..
When you loop in circular form every loop make one twist. When you pull the hose it will be twisted. Now if you continue doing this over and over your hose will twisted like a yarn.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #24
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
This drives me nuts. I have bought and thrown away way too many hoses, and that includes kink resistant hoses. I need something better but I am tired of throwing my money away. I don't understand why some hoses people seem to love and say they never kink but then a minority of people will complain that the exact same hose kinks constantly. I ended up not buying one last time this was discussed because reviews were so inconsistent. I just looked at the Amazon review of the Sears black rubber hose. Same thing. 70% say it doesn't kink and 30% say it kinks all the time. That is just the "verified purchases". The Gilmore Pro hose gets 4-5 stars but one guy shows a pic of the hose he received which came pre-kinked under the cardboard where you couldn't see it and he claims the kink never worked itself out, seems to there permanently. Good grief.
Imp and Sue, I will look at the hose I wrote about in post #5. It might have a name brand on it somewhere. I just looked at .com and didn't find it. I wish I could help more.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
this is spot on! I have quick connect couplers and a few of them are aluminum. they get corroded and I have to break them apart with pipe wrenches to unscrew them.
This is called galvanic corrosion.
It is an elctro chemical reaction from dissimilar metals.
Grease helps big time.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #26
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
This is called galvanic corrosion.
It is an elctro chemical reaction from dissimilar metals.
Grease helps big time.
Worth
I keep thinking I should put some on... now I will go find some back in the shop. they have it for greasing the machines I am sure there is some I can snag back there.. will red grease be okay? probably the only thing back there.
Old March 11, 2018   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Probably will be.
I used a grease from the electrical supply place just for this purpose called STL 2.
Higher than a cats back.

I had to use aluminum conduit unions on brass fittings on Halon bottles in turbines.
Every year I would have to bust off the union if I didn't grease it.

They didn't even know why this happened when they first started putting copper on ships.
Using iron nails they turned to paste.
The more noble metal will be okay the less noble will be eaten up by this reaction.

Who ever dreamed up aluminum fittings for hoses to go on brass hose bibs is an idiot.

Worth
Old March 11, 2018   #28
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Imp and Sue, I will look at the hose I wrote about in post #5. It might have a name brand on it somewhere. I just looked at .com and didn't find it. I wish I could help more.
Thank you, Salt. For me, no hurry. I am shopping and ill compare until, hopefully, will get the best for my needs. I think a 25 ft. for the front and a 50 ft for the back yard will be enough.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #29
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I use silicone (plumbers) grease to lessen the galvanic issue. Plumbers teflon tape also works well for me. One could also use a plastic shut-off on the spigot, then the aluminum would contact only the plastic. I got one of those very light fabric covered hoses for my wife last year from Lowes (not the "expanding hose"). So far, so good, but I don't expect it to be around too many years.
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
I use silicone (plumbers) grease to lessen the galvanic issue. Plumbers teflon tape also works well for me. One could also use a plastic shut-off on the spigot, then the aluminum would contact only the plastic. I got one of those very light fabric covered hoses for my wife last year from Lowes (not the "expanding hose"). So far, so good, but I don't expect it to be around too many years.
-GG

If you guys are going to use the Teflon tape for this think about buying the yellow stuff for gas lines.
It is by far a superior product.
Worth