Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old November 7, 2014   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Elephant Garlic Q?

Over the past few years, I have grown Garlic as nothing more than a hobby and for the fun of experimenting. Last year, I planted the soft stem garlic from California that we find in every grocery store in Texas. I planted it in October and it turned out really well. I also planted garlic from a local feed store in December that produced tiny garlic bulbs about the size of a dime.

This year, my wife pointed out a sack of Elephant garlic, so I bought it. I watched videos about how to plant it. The one thing that was different in each video I watched was how deep to plant it. I'm guessing it doesn't really matter, but I thought I would ask you all for your thoughts before I plant it this week.

Details about where it is to be planted:

Zone 8A
Sandy Loam with Oak leaves mixed in
PH 6.9
Full Sun
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2014   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Then you know it isn't really garlic it is a shallot.
I have planted it about an inch under the ground.
As far as I know it is still there now under my driveway.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2014   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a big hit with Worth .

I was given some, and told that it's worth growing just for the flower. I probably planted it at the wrong time of the year because I waited a very long time to see that flower and now I can't even remember if it spectacular or not. That area got turned into lawn and the garlic plant was lost.....

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2014   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

One video compared them to leeks. I was planning to plant shallots in that bed last month, but I did not find any locally to buy. If nothing else, I'll plant more garlic and onions there.
Old November 7, 2014   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Maybe it was leeks it was kin to I cant remember.
I like my garlic to be strong.
If you want a good garlic for our are the Creole garlic is good.
never grown it but have heard of good results from fellow Texans.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2014   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Creole Garlic. It is a category of many varieties of Creole garlics. Thought of as gourmet garlic, and most of what I've found - they have a red color to them. It is one that I am going to look for. It is a softneck garlic, but I noticed that it can be grown in northern states where hardneck garlic is usually grown. It grows larger in hot weather states.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I've heard others saying that garlic grows better where garlic grew the year/s before?
Old November 21, 2014   #7
meganp
Tomatovillian™

alittlesalt, ideally garlic should be rotated on a three year basis to avoid build up of soil borne diseases and should not be planted where any other alliums grew in the previous season. I only have space to alternate my garlic beds so follow or precede them with a mustard cover crop that I dig in which is supposed to help clean the soil.
meganp is offline   Reply With Quote