Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 26, 2015   #1
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Default Burgundy Okra

Is it normal for a Burgundy okra plant to produce only one pod at a time? I've picked about a dozen of them but they're only coming one every 8 or 9 days. I would like to pickle them but there's not much I can do with one okra pod.

Could I freeze them until I get enough to work with without them losing their texture?

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2015   #2
GardeningCook
Tomatovillian™

I've grown "Burgundy" okra before & have never seen that happen. And I grew mine in deck containers, which one would think would slow down pod production. How are you growing them & what do the plants themselves look like? (Soil quality, water, etc., etc.)
Old July 26, 2015   #3
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

It's planted in a large fabric container, with Gardner and Bloome organic potting mix, amended with G&B 3-5-4 organic fertilizer. I have to water about every 3 days, depending on the heat. No bug issues (so far). My camera is dead right now, it's about 20" tall and somewhat lanky. My Clemson Spineless is just now starting to flower and looks like it is going to be normal.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2015   #4
GardeningCook
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm. I've never used the fabric containers so can't give personal experience re: those. I will say that 20" doesn't sound very tall for "Burgundy". Mine were planted in plastic pots between 5 & 10 gallons or so in size & were around 4' tall when they started flowering & producing.