Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 19, 2007   #16
Tania
Tomatovillian™

finally the heavy rains stopped and it was warm and dry enough today to plant all sort of things in the garden.

Peas, radishes, potatoes, onions are planted today, and lettuces, kale and savoy cabbage transplanted - hopefully we are not going to have any frost this spring (keep my fingers crossed...)

The tomato seedlings went to cold frames to harden to get some sunshine, I didn't dare to get peppers outside yet.

Currants and raspeberries showing new leaves, and cherries will be blooming very soon.

Harvesting arugula by buckets, and got some mutzuna and lettuce leaves, and green onions to add to a salad. Yumm. Oh, and I also got 16 cherry tomatoes so far from my winter grown minis

Conclusion: Spring has come in PNW
(...and my back hurts, after preparing and planting size 4x22' raised beds... ouch. )

cukes and squash and beans will be started in 2-3 weeks.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2007   #17
blatanna
Tomatovillian™

Default Spring garden.

Temp here today just 7C. and going to zero at night and sometimes minus 1 or 2. We are going through a cold snap at the moment after having a very mind winter.
My plum and cherry tree are full of blossom and the leaves on my raspberry and blackcurrant bushes are open. My worry now is that the frosty winds will blitz them.
My peas are in the greenhouse where I started them I find its easier to start off this way and then plant them out when they have a couple of pairs of leaves on. This year I am growing Felthem First and early Onward.
My garlic and onions which were planted in October are growing well and my Sweetpeas are starting to come up.
All daffs tulips and primula are in blossom so a definite feel of spring here.
Old March 19, 2007   #18
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

montanamato, do you know, is it necessary or beneficial to give the onions a haircut?

Ruth, I grew savoy cabbages for the first time last year and they are so pretty and tasty! They do not keep as well as the usual sort, but still worth the time and space.

And... it's raining again.... it's so soggy and rainy around these parts, moreso than anywhere else I've lived.... (SIGH)! On the positive side, it is a sure sign that spring is not far away. The daffodils are just beginning to bloom here.

Lisa
Old March 19, 2007   #19
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I grow Perfection Savoy or Chieftain Savoy each fall/winter and those two are both green. There is a red savoy at Sand Hill I wanted to try this year but that variety is not available for 2007. Maybe next year.
Old March 20, 2007   #20
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I'm starting my snow peas on April 1st ...
Thats really my only spring veggie ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2007   #21
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomstrees View Post
I'm starting my snow peas on April 1st ...
Thats really my only spring veggie ~

Tom
Tom,
Isn't it a bit too late for your zone?
I planted my peas on Mar 18 this year, and this was later than last year. (but again, I am known for rushing things... )
Peas sprout in a cool soil and can stand light frost.

I believe my last frost is around the first week of April.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old March 21, 2007   #22
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Miss Mudcat...I have been growing onions from seed for 5 or 6 years , and this is the first year I have snipped them back...I have read several places to cut them back, but for me the greatest benefit is they are not such a gnarled mess come plant out...They are about 6 weeks old and very largealready. I put them in the cold frame to slow them up a bit, until I plant out about May 1...Our days are so long, I have planted out early June and pulled Cippolinis by late August...I mostly grow Cippolinis and another red Italian onion that stores great...Plus ,I always buy seedlings of Walla Wallas from a local nursery..

Tania...Do you put pole beans out as transplants ? I was thinking of trying that this year, but not sure how they would do...Something eats the center out of my beans before emergence...or else they get them shortly afterwards...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2007   #23
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamato View Post
Tania...Do you put pole beans out as transplants ? I was thinking of trying that this year, but not sure how they would do...Something eats the center out of my beans before emergence...or else they get them shortly afterwards...

Jeanne
Jeanne,

I put out beans as transplants - I put 1 seed per 4" plastic container or a paper coffee cup, and once they have 2 sets of true leaves I set them out - the ground warms up by that time, and there is no danger of frost.

Last year I also put the seeds directly into the ground, but germination was quite spotty, and I had to re-seed one row since nothing sprouted due to cold wet soil/cold weather. Also, it took too long...

Although, I didn't notice any dramatic difference in days to maturity

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old March 22, 2007   #24
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamato View Post
Miss Mudcat...I have been growing onions from seed for 5 or 6 years , and this is the first year I have snipped them back...I have read several places to cut them back, but for me the greatest benefit is they are not such a gnarled mess come plant out...
Jeanne
Thanks, Jeanne! Yes, you are right about the gnarled mess. I have never clipped mine back, but I may give it a try. I notice the plants purchased from the local nursery are always clipped.

Lisa