Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 6, 2017   #1
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Default How are your plants producing - Share your results

After 70 days I have gotten the following results, nothing is ripe yet.
Tomato......................... # of toms...........................# of trusses
Big Beef...............................12 large to small................6
Eva Purple Ball.....................12 medium....................... 5
Better Boy.............................8 large to small................ 4
Prudens Purple......................8 large to small.................5
Daniel Burson........................5 large..............................3
Gregori's Altai.........................3 large.............................2
Neves AZ Red..........................2 large............................1
Chapman................................2 small............................2 (set fruit late)
Marianna's Peace.....................4 small............................3 (set fruit late)

These three - Daniel Burson, Gregori's Altai, and Neves set fruit quickly and now they have stopped setting fruit after the first couple of trusses, is this normal?
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2017   #2
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Excellent list, Rumor. I noticed you noted "set fruit late". I wonder if that is what is going on with mine...The first lower trusses flowered, I buzzed them, and the anthers and petals wilted and fell off. I have no blossom drop, the little tomato ovaries are just sitting there and not growing. It's as if they are waiting for a signal to start swelling. Is this what you see as well?? It happens to me every year! Other types, like Early Girl, start growing immediately after fertilization, no dormancy period whatsoever.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2017   #3
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Excellent list, Rumor. I noticed you noted "set fruit late". I wonder if that is what is going on with mine...The first lower trusses flowered, I buzzed them, and the anthers and petals wilted and fell off. I have no blossom drop, the little tomato ovaries are just sitting there and not growing. It's as if they are waiting for a signal to start swelling. Is this what you see as well?? It happens to me every year! Other types, like Early Girl, start growing immediately after fertilization, no dormancy period whatsoever.
Marianna's Peace and Chapman set fruit much later than the rest of the group, like 4 weeks later.

I had a lot of little green toms that would not grow, not sure if I did something to make them abort.
Old May 6, 2017   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Taxi, Agatha, Mat-Su Express, and Rebelski are leading the way in the high tunnel.

Taos Trail is the winner among my outdoor plants struggling in the cold spring weather. All of my dwarf varieties are also holding up well to the cold.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2017   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
I know what you are talking about.
Sometime some of those nubs will stay like that for ever.
I have not found a convincing explanation for it. On the one hand its got pollinated and the blossom did not drop off. On the other hand it wont grow. Some of them eventually get like slightly bigger than a cherry. One year it happened a lot on my Mortgage Lifter. And I see something like that on Brandy Boy this year.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2017   #6
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I know what you are talking about.
Sometime some of those nubs will stay like that for ever.
I have not found a convincing explanation for it. On the one hand its got pollinated and the blossom did not drop off. On the other hand it wont grow. Some of them eventually get like slightly bigger than a cherry. One year it happened a lot on my Mortgage Lifter. And I see something like that on Brandy Boy this year.
Last year, I had a bunch of dormant ovaries at the bottom of the plant- the stigmas had long since rotted off. The upper trusses set fruit no problem. Then all of a sudden, the lower dormant blossoms started swelling and growing. Someone once told me that the plant knows exactly where it needs to spend its energy- perhaps it is delaying fruit growth to get taller or accelerate things upstairs. My DLH's are doing this, but I noticed some of them had swelled this morning. Terhune is doing it too!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #7
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Never grown DB, never got to pick a NAR when I grew it, but GA grows compact and bears early for me pretty consistenly. http://www.tomatoville.com/album.php...&pictureid=336
"Set early an stopped" happened across the board to our slicer tomato plants this year. I did plant no till, with a just spoon of fertilizer, hand watered a bit and hoped for rain. I think they just ran out of gas. Poured on a bunch of soluble ferts and set the soakers to run a little every day at Noon and now they takeoff like crazy. If the hot hot heat holds off we may still get some yield after all. 8 to 12 fruit per vine I could call a good season 'Course I do set out 50 plants

Last edited by decherdt; May 12, 2017 at 01:53 PM.
decherdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #8
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

We've had a few BLTs from Big Beef, Pink Girl and today we used Cherokee Purple and Boxcar Willie for BLTs. CP and Boxcar were a bit weak on flavor. I think I'm pushing them too much. Will allow more wilting and hold off on the fertilizer. Big Beef has been the best so far. I've got 90+ varieties (tomatoes, pepper & eggplants combined) plus squash, cucumbers, beans and naked seeded pumpkins so I'm just generalizing but hope to get some photos soon. The variety Girl Girl's Weird Thing is an escape artist--can't seem to keep it in the cages but it had lots of good reviews on flavor last year so I had to try it.
gdaddybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I set my first tomatoes out late due to a late freeze so mine didn't get put out til the 21st of March. As far as setting fruit most are doing very well with a few doing poorly or slow. My varieties with the most set fruit and largest trusses so far are in order Prudens Purple, Aunt Ginnies Purple, Royal Hillbilly and Limbaugh's Legacy. I will have to wait a while for any ripe fruit but do expect a few in the next two to three weeks but that could be optimistic. Couldn't garden without it.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #10
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

NOTHING here yet... nothing even outside in the ground. I do have 100 plants in the high tunnel and I do see a few blossoms just ready to pop open.... in about a week. I yanked out 9 Big Denas and tossed them in the compost even though they were beautiful but after reading the high tunnel reviews on them I was already disappointed in the expectations of them so I replaced them with Brandyboy hybrids. I left 15 just to see what they produced.
Old May 12, 2017   #11
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I picked my first Silvery Fir Tree on the lass day of April.
The seeds were sown on Jan 19th. Lets see >>> 12 + 28 + 31 + 29 = 100 days from seeds.
My 2 plants each in 4 gallon fabric bag have close to 20 tomatoes, biggest one as big as base ball. SFT is compact patio type determinant with carrot like leaves.
I have so far harvested half a dozen ripe ones.
SFT Beats all other 32 varieties all the way to the bush.

In the pictures below , though not all tomatoes are detected by the camera's eye, but there are plenty of them seen.
I highly recommend SFT if you like tangy taste.

I will introduce my next best the next time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFT _1.jpg (86.1 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg SFT_@.jpg (117.8 KB, 325 views)

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #12
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I picked my first Silvery Fir Tree on the lass day of April.
The seeds were sown on Jan 19th. Lets see >>> 12 + 28 + 31 + 29 = 100 days from seeds.
My 2 plants each in 4 gallon fabric bag have close to 20 tomatoes, biggest one as big as base ball. SFT is compact patio type determinant with carrot like leaves.
I have so far harvested half a dozen ripe ones.
SFT Beats all other 32 varieties all the way to the bush.

In the pictures below , though not all tomatoes are detected by the camera's eye, but there are plenty of them seen.
I highly recommend SFT if you like tangy taste.

I will introduce my next best the next time.
That is impressive looking, is that two pants in one bag?

About half of the plants I set out were double plants (two in one pot) this year.
Old May 14, 2017   #13
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

The second group of plants I put out in Mid March have been out 57 days:
Daniel Burson - is leading the way with 9 toms (see picture) - I am really impressed with both of the DB's I put out.

Big Beef - is a close second with 8 toms

Chapman and Neves Azorean Red both look good and have 2 to 3 toms with lots of yellow blooms.

I am really happy that I am following Bill's advice and putting out groups of plants.
My first group was 9 plants set out in mid February and I will pick the first one's this week.
Second group is 4 plants, set out in Mid March
Third group is 9 plants set out in early May.
Forth group should go out in late June.
Old May 14, 2017   #14
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by decherdt View Post
Never grown DB, never got to pick a NAR when I grew it, but GA grows compact and bears early for me pretty consistenly. http://www.tomatoville.com/album.php...&pictureid=336
"Set early an stopped" happened across the board to our slicer tomato plants this year. I did plant no till, with a just spoon of fertilizer, hand watered a bit and hoped for rain. I think they just ran out of gas. Poured on a bunch of soluble ferts and set the soakers to run a little every day at Noon and now they takeoff like crazy. If the hot hot heat holds off we may still get some yield after all. 8 to 12 fruit per vine I could call a good season 'Course I do set out 50 plants
I think I will give the one's that have stopped fruiting a shot of liquid fertilizer if they do not respond soon, the first wave of production will be getting ripe this week and next week, but no fruit set after the first wave.
Old May 14, 2017   #15
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Mat-su and ISPL are the leaders for me in fruitset. Limmony and Marglobe are the worst. Seem to drop blossoms often.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plant production