Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 10, 2017   #1
nniemiec
Tomatovillian™

Default Epsom Salt / Lime - how much added each season?

How much Epsom Salt & how much Lime do you add to your containers each season? Please note the size of the containers you are growing in. Thanks!!
nniemiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2017   #2
MissS
Tomatovillian™

If I use Epsom salts, I use it as a feed as needed for greening up the plants due to magnesium deficiency. I never just add it to my mix. When I use it as a feed I use 1 T per gallon of water. I just use about 3-4 T of lime again, depending if the mix needs it. Lime is to raise the PH of the soil. So, I your soil is fine, then you do not need it.
Old February 10, 2017   #3
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I do not know, but it seems it would relate to what other nutrients you're using, and whether any of those needs are being met by that fertilizer.

I use a potting mix without a pre-charge of nutrients and do not add epsom salts or lime at any time. All nutrients are supplied by a three part water soluble mix of fertilizer/mag/cal in the daily watering.

fabric pots/ promixHP/ chem-gro tomato + cal,mag
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2017   #4
nniemiec
Tomatovillian™

my base fertilizer is Tomato Tone. I was under the impression that some of you add Cal+Mag from the outset every growing season?
nniemiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2017   #5
encore
Tomatovillian™

in my rain gutter grow system, (which i'm going with all new mix) i'm using 2-5gal. buckets of peat---1-5 gal bucket of compost manure----@ 3 quarts of perlite----1 1/2 cups of garden line----large handful of epsom salts---and 1 cup of 10-10-10 fertilizer around the top edge of the bucket 2 inches from top, more mix then wood chips the last inch or so. that's in a 5-6 gal bucket from menards
encore is offline   Reply With Quote