Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old November 26, 2006   #46
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The vapors done me in!
Women still get the vapors?

T,

My seeds came from NC and Texas. The plants were larger too.

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2006   #47
Trudi
Tomatovillian™

Oh gawd--maybe you can help.

I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed my hands with detergent, and thought they were capsicum oil free, but NO. I rubbed my eyes, well, not my eyeballs, but now the skin right beneath my eyes is royally searing. I just took a benadryl and we did saline eye drops which have helped, but WOW! Is there anything, maybe a hand lotion or cooking oil--anything! that will dissolve any remaining capsicum oil in my skin so I can't rub my face without setting it on fire?

T--who always says she'll use rubber gloves when handling hot peppers but never does. sigh.
Old November 26, 2006   #48
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

T,

Bleach probably works best. Hesitated mentioning that because know the uproar that usually results. Alcohol works darn well too.

Usually I do everything bare handed because hate gloves. Get the nitrile exam gloves. Check auto parts store for something like Invisible Glove. It's non-greasy and makes washing off with liquid dish-washing detergent easier. Then follow up with the alcohol if needed.

jt
Old November 26, 2006   #49
Trudi
Tomatovillian™

Thank you.

I have no problem using bleach on my hands. I've got lots of hand cream.

T
Old November 26, 2006   #50
travis
Tomatovillian™

JT,

Your Fish peppers produce much larger pods ... at 4 - 5 inches ... than any of the several I grew this summer. If you have any spare seeds, I'd love to trade something for a few.

I said in another thread here recently that I was slightly disappointed in the vigor of my Fish this summer, but maybe I didn't give'm a proper chance and should increase the container size a mite next summer.

I also incorrectly stated in that other thread that I got the Fish seeds from TGS ... I got them from Chris Chapman ... and only one out of about 20 threw the incorrect plant as described above in this thread. I will say the correct plants showed quite a bit of variegation and one had more white than green on most leaves. But the plants with less white were more vigorous. Does that make sense?

Trudi ... I also hate wearing gloves when messin' with peppers and always suffer some burnin' flesh and other parts as a result. It seems Dawn dish detergent works to some avail and I agree the bleach helps ... but it seems there is always some little residue no matter what you try ... especially when messin' with Habaneros, etc.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2006   #51
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

PV,

Chris is one of the heroes in the seed saving/sharing world and I applaud his efforts. Many/most of the seeds he shares are from fellow chile-heads and he has no control over purity. He simply coordinates the sharing.

I will try to get you some Fish seed from my good friend Beth (in Texas) if she still has on hand & will mail to you. http://www.peppermania.com/capsicum_annuum.html

The ones I grew from her seed were late to put out variegated leaves, but I think are genuine Fish variety.

jt
Old November 26, 2006   #52
travis
Tomatovillian™

JT,

Yes, Chris sent me generous amts. of several pepper varieties not all of which I grew this year. The ones I did grow were superb and beautiful to watch grow. Black Prince, some kind of black podded Congo pepper with huge crickled leaves (I took that one inside to winter), Kung Pao, a Kunk Pao that threw a plant with identical growth habit but had a fine white fuzz on the leaves and had short, bullet-shaped green pods, and the Fish, which I'm not at all complainin' about ... just commenting that the pods were 2 - 2.5 inches long rather than as you describe yours being 4 - 5 inches.

I'm hopin' the rest of Chris's generous seed share remains viable 'til next year as I just found out recently that pepper seeds don't have nearly the shelf life of tomato seeds. But time'll tell and I plan on regrowing the ones I trialed this summer.

PV
Old November 26, 2006   #53
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
He simply coordinates the sharing.
The way I worded that bothers me. LOL Not so simple at all. And those of you that have been in coordinated tomato/pepper seed sharing know what I mean.

And I might be having yet another 'senior moment' here. I remember the pods being 4-5" long and they very well might have been 2-3". Sometimes I keep good notes and sometimes I don't. My plants were definitely in the 2' plus range though.

JohnF... who sometimes posts here includes a ruler in his recent pod pictures and I need to do that more myself. I love documentation, but really don't like inaccurate documentation. And especially don't like renaming varieties so can market as something new.

My apologies & will go back to being a lurker for a spell.

anon
Old November 26, 2006   #54
Trudi
Tomatovillian™

I think coordination is an appropriate word--yes I do.

It takes a lot of organization and a lot of coordination. I spent most of my free time this past weekend packing and mailing seeds ;-) As someone who does share I am very grateful and thankful for my secret sharers who share with with me so that I can share their seeds for them through the program. It does take coordination to keep it all running smoothly. I would pull my hair out from my head if it weren't for the people who help me.

God bless them all, they are my garden angels!

T

PS---
Quote:
And especially don't like renaming varieties so can market as something new.
Oh gosh--this is a big thing with me. I sometimes get tom seeds from traders that might have scrawled on the pack something like seeds from Uncle Irv's best red tomato. I don't later complicate this if I am saving and sharing its seeds. I'll just label them "Uncle Irv's Best Red Tomato" and add a description and the name source to the packet.
Old November 27, 2006   #55
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

PV,

OK, I guess my pods were thumb size too. A big thumb though: http://MyThumb.notlong.com I can still get seeds if you want.

jt
Old November 27, 2006   #56
travis
Tomatovillian™

JT,

Thanks for the offer. Let me think about it and get back to you later in December.

I looked at the Peppermania link you posted and saw a few others I'd like to order, so maybe I'll add a packet of Fish to that order and won't need to bother you for it. But if you're lookin' for anything in particular and I happen to have it, I'd be happy to do a trade.

Stay in touch.

PV
Old November 27, 2006   #57
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

PV,

Beth has the absolute best baccatums (her specialty) and her Yellow hab is a must have for my garden as is early, large & good flavor/heat. And I must have yellows for my powders.

I'm pretty much set for next season's seeds thanks to my wonderful rogue & chile-head friends all over the world. Was very ill for a year (just now coming out of it) and did not overwinter the usual 60 or so plants last winter and did not bag for seed this summer. Overwintering 40 plants this winter and should be up to speed next summer. It seems so strange not to have a half doz species going and a crossing project in the works, but such is life.

T,

Sorry to ramble on so in your thread. I try to be quiet, but sometimes the fingers just keep on moving.

jt
Old November 27, 2006   #58
Trudi
Tomatovillian™

JT, ramble away--if we talked 100% on topic everything would be entirely 100% boring.

T--who has rambling winter sowers, many of whom don't know what "on topic" actually is. So for me, vaguely close is close enough.
Old November 27, 2006   #59
travis
Tomatovillian™

Yes ... please continue ramblin'.

And if you have photos of your over-wintering babies, please post them up.

Also, please start a thread about your crossing pepper projects with photos, etc. That would be great.

PV
Old November 27, 2006   #60
Trudi
Tomatovillian™

yeah!