Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 7, 2006   #1
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Salsa Ingredients

I finely sliced and then mashed some of this bunch, add the two orange chillies diced, which are of the C. Baccatum family, a pinch of cummin, sea salt and fresh-cracked black pepper, fresh lime juice, dash of malt vinegar, offset with sugar. Let it rest for an hour. Oooh, what a nice salsa. The hot peppers are so prolific for me in this first ever year of growing them.

Question: this C. Bacc. had some number attached to it, like a batch number of something, but I note most of the posts here refer to common names. Is it just that there are so many that they haven't all got common names? Does this look like one you've grown with a common name? I search Craig's pics and it almost looks like Datil. Though I don't think it is a C.Bacc.

Anyway, I'll post a pic of a mystery chilli yet to ripen that I also have growing froma seedling sent to me froim Patrina. It's doubly interesting

A plate of nice colours: Grub's Mystery Green back, some (orange) Jaune Flamees, a lone Jaune Negib and two of PP's chillies. HOT!!!

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2006   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

If it does not have the characteristic Chinense aroma (unforgettable and hard to describe - cut and sniff a Hab and see what mean!), than it may be a Baccatum (Bac. flowers have a brown streak on the white part, if I recall). It looks like of like a red version of Datil or Fatalii - you are right.

But, I did grow a Baccatum a few years ago - sorry, no pics - that looked kind of like that as well.
Old February 7, 2006   #3
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Aroma

Top of the day to you Craig,

I have Habs growing, the standard orange ones. I will compare aromas, but this orrange, which Patrina seems to think is a Baccatum that she sent me, has a strange flowery perfume and initaial taste. It's almost like it's been doused in perfume or been rolling around in grandma's handbag. It's veery good though. Sniff test to come.

Also, I am intrigued by your colourful hot peppers. I have a front flower bed that's empty and faces the street. A few tomatoes are growing there this year, but they look crap. Chillies or hot peppers woud be brilliant. Of those pictured on a thread hereabouts, the Vietnamese variegated et al, have you tried any of them? I'm definitely going to grow more next year and in that bed, but I want ones that looks funky as well as have a practical side.

Suggestions welcome,
Grub, a new hot pepper convert for sure. The orange pictured here is ranging all ovver the chicken run and is just loaded. Very rewarding.

Old February 7, 2006   #4
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default New Site

Wow! Glenn from NZ posted about this seed site, so I went surfing during my lunch hour and there's oodles of peppers including this one that looks about right.

http://www.reimerseeds.com/aji-verde...er-orange.aspx

So many interesting ones to buy
Old February 7, 2006   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Just a bit of a beware about Reimer's seeds - I've had many germination problems with them, if I recall some of this is noted on the Garden Watch Dog - and in the GW pepper forum. May be best to see their descriptions, then look for alternate sources.
Old February 8, 2006   #6
GManess
Tomatovillian™

Grub ............ funky & practical ....... how about the Fish Pepper? The variegated leaves would definately fit the funky side and the HOT peppers would fit the practical angle. Gonna order some from SSE myself. Just a thought. Gary
GManess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2006   #7
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Fish

Hi Gary,

You must be a mindreader. I went trawling through the pepper places and saw fish, an heirloom from America from memory, with fruits that shift through some interesting colours. It caught my eye, so to speak. All the very best to you.

Oh, and for that. A treat. This is the new bowl and the salsa I just made from the Avocado Salsa recipe among 431 other salsa recipes at http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...sa&ingredient=

Delicious. Hence the camera shake. Note hot tongue
Old February 8, 2006   #8
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Grub, was the number attached to the pepper a PIxxx or a CGNxxx? Those are accession numbers for germplasm obtained from genebanks, PI from the USDA and CGN for the Netherlands respectively, to give 2 examples. If this be the case (and knowing PP's collection, I suspect it is), then going to the accession area inquiries section at the pertinent genebank should provide some background data on that pepper for you.

You can also contact me or PP; we'll hook you up with the info and the hot pepper crowd around the world. In fact, I'll start by making an offer of three hardtofind chiles for a few seeds of Grub's Mystery Green.

Jennifer

edit: if you see references to FemmeFatalii on your chile ventures, Grub, that would be me.
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2006   #9
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi All,

I was looking through some salsa recipes on GW, foodtv.com, epicurious and a couple of other popular cooking websites. I found it odd that people use vinegar and/or oil (olive, vegetable, etc) in their salsa. If anyone knows the purpose of these two ingredients in salsas, please share it with me. I am always trying to learn new methods and styles of cooking.

Cheers,

Angelique

Hi Grub,

Your Salsa looks beautiful. I have had a very similar salsa (salad) that also had strips of nopales (prickly pear cactus). It was too yummy for words. I had this dish served in flour tortilla soft tacos (no meat) topped with queso fresco. Yum Yum.

I checked out the recipes on the attached link that you provided. Some of them look pretty good.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2006   #10
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Hot Pepper PI

Hi Jennifer,
I just sent an email to PP requesting, if at all possible, that she send me the PI number. It does have a PI number.

I have some other spares that she kindly sent me with PI numbers. Can I just go to some website and search and discover their history and traits?

Wow! This is pretty cool. Or, rather, hot.

Email me your addy I'll send some Grub's Mystery Green seeds to you. You can request PL or RL or both. Keep an eye out at the gallery here for cut pics tonight. It's so vibrant.

Ha ha ha...FemmeFatalii... I often called my angling partner a Fishing Fatale. Speak soon.

Hi Angelique,
Vinegar and oil are nothing more than a dressing that help pickle the mix in a short time. Most recipes don't use much oil and olive oil in really goood for you. The vinegar has virtually zero calories. Lime or lemon juice is the same. A touch of sugar balances it all out. Witha sprinkle of salt to complete the hot, sour, salty, sweet coombination.

The Avocado Salsa was truly excellent. I've now found a recipe for making your own low-fat cornchips in the dehydrator using fresh corn and other stuff whizzed up.

Strips of nopales (snozberry pear cactus) sounds really interesting. A shot of tequila and cha cha cha. Hope you're puttiing in some hot peppers this season.

Best, Grub.
Old February 8, 2006   #11
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Wow Grub. What is a snozberry? I guess I really mistyped Prickly Pear Cactus, aka nopales. Here are some pictures for reference. I don't know if they are available in Australia.

Admin: naughty word filter overreacting again - fixed.

I am definitely planning on growing some chiles. For salsa, I'll probably play it safe and grow either Jalapeno or Serrano. Whatever I grow, I share with my grandparents. They are "old school" (traditional), so jalapenos and serranos are a must. Other family staples include Poblano for chile rellenos and anaheim chile for sauces.

Thank you for the advice about the vinegar and oil in salsa. I appreciate it. I normally use lemon or lime. Also, thank you for the recipe for low fat corn chips. I say you rotate between those and deep fried homemade corn tortillas. Corn oil is a must.

Don't tell Grandma :wink: , but I like to experiment with the spices I use in my salsa. Aside from the traditional (cumin, tomillo=thyme, Mex oregano), my fave herb is cinnamon basil. I let a plant wait until if flowers. I finely chop the basil flowers (and a couple of leaves) and toss it in with the rest of the salsa ingredients.

Cheers,

Angelique
Old February 8, 2006   #12
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Taste test

Angelique,

What does the cactus taste like? Is it more for texture than anything else? I don't think we have this cactus here, though one can buy cacti at the nursery. I will have to search for it.

Muchos besos amiga!
(I remember the important lines from trip to Mexico)
:wink:
Old February 8, 2006   #13
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Grub,

Hmmm. If I had to choose a vegetable for comparison, it would be green beans for taste and pursulane (sp?) or cooked aloe for texture. If it is cooked properly it is still a little crisp. If over cooked, then it is slimy. Prik-lee (the P word can't be used here, so I am forced to misspell) Pear Cactus is also made with scrambled eggs (I HATE), diced with meat (I like), in stews, such as mole, Chile Verde (I like). Be very carefully with the splinters on the fruit. They are as thin as hairs and can do some serious damage. I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Angelique
Old February 8, 2006   #14
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Yes

I'm pretty sure you can buy it here. The fruit from the cactus as well. Funny bit of censorship. Thanks for that. I'll search for more info.
Gracias, de nada.
Old February 8, 2006   #15
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Grub, I wonder if it this one?

http://au.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fou...cd.jpg&.src=ph

It wasn't the one I was thinking of, but these 2 pods are the only ones I got from my plant last season. They were so late to ripen that I ended up picking them after my trip overseas in winter. They had been sitting there several weeks in the cold and wet by the time I arrived home! Didn't taste them, just saved seeds, but it was interesting that I actually had these 2 different shapes on the same plant.

Patrina
Patrina_Pepperina is offline   Reply With Quote