Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 12, 2007   #166
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Our very unseasonal weather this autumn (it's been summery hot for over a week with temperatures at around 30C every day. No rain in sight, everything is dry as dust.) has one advantage - it allows more chillies and capsicums to ripen.

Yesterday's haul:
http://ausgarden.com/v/Spatzbear/veg...geViewsIndex=1
Spatzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2007   #167
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

This is Corno di Torro, yellow.

A ripper of a plant, just like the red one. Both still producing massive fruit.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg corno_yellow.jpg (80.3 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Spatzbear; April 12, 2007 at 11:27 PM. Reason: duplicate posting
Old May 14, 2007   #168
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Jimmy Nardello is still producing lovely sweet peppers! Absolutely amazing plant. We've had average night temperatures of 5-9C and daytime temperatures of 15-22C in the last few weeks. And plenty of RAIN!

The rest of the capsicums and chillies are still in the ground and looking great, but not much is ripening up any more. It is autumn (and cool) after all.
Old July 3, 2007   #169
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Still swamped in peppers here with a late blush of a few anaheims, with other plants all puffed out, but heaps of other stuff. In fact, some hotties hagve really taken hold with branches of C.Pubescens and stuff and some really nice faux hottie culinary types.

Michael, I not far from seed sorting and will send some of your stuff to Spatz if that's alright with you. Those I grew last year, the anaheim types, were great.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2007   #170
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Grub-whatever you want to do is fine with me. My chile plants got set back with a freak hail storm here a few days ago-habanero, new mex big jim, jalapeno and serrano all lost a lot of flowers. My corno di capra and jimmy nardello's didnt. My lipstick and Franks are just getting started. I am germinating another few cayenne to put into the containers in August.

The chile festivals will start then also and we will buy 2 bushels or so of green chile-we have been buying from the same farmer for several years. He roasts it right there, we bring it home and freeze it. No way I can grow enough green chile to last the year.
Old July 3, 2007   #171
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to hear about the hail... not that you were ever going to meet your chile demands. That's too funny... I have some greenies in the freezer still... problem here is mum's milk otherwise I would load up the communal chilli pot.

Hey, you'll love this, also have some big pickling jars in the fridge, for months now, with pickled mix of whole peppers (not roasted) from jals to red and green NumMex ones and lots of funny little Big Jims that came on late and others... nice and hot and good for the tacos or such thing.

Thanks again. Lipstick is so nice and compact. Jimmy Nardello is still doing it. One Big Jim is on fire again. And so on. The habs in all thier guises are more difficult to get through and the C.Pubescens are sooo hot in a different way.

One face that isn't a NuMex one: Ring of Fire. Very good. I'll send the other NuMex ones to Spatz in coming days or weeks... before her season.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote