Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 11, 2014   #46
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Dork Fish - I don't know how many peppers you plan on planting, but you might want to try planting a few of each one, wait a week, plant a few, wait a week, etc. for about 4 weeks or so, starting about January 25.

Depending on when you start, plan on transplanting at least twice for the annuums. Last year I had to transplant my jalapenos into quart sized containers. They looked like giants compared to the chinense, that are slow growers.

This year I'm hoping to start chinense on January 25 and the jalapenos and habaneros near February 10.

You can make great poppers with jalapenos or larger serranos or bananas. We've tried making poppers with both green and red jalapenos, and like the hotter ripe red ones.

Good for you on growing in a community garden. They can truly be a blessing when you need the dirt!
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2014   #47
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

I am thinking no more than two or three each.

Ah, okay.

I am going to look up each one to find out what they are...hehe

I was given some suggestions on different pepper this year. I am excited to get started.

Yes, it is really nice. A local organic compost farm donated all of the dirt for the beds.
Old January 13, 2014   #48
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

Also, question about the 60/40 mix. Is this something that can be used multiple times? Or is it a one season kindof thing.
Old January 13, 2014   #49
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Fish View Post
Also, question about the 60/40 mix. Is this something that can be used multiple times? Or is it a one season kindof thing.

What is the 60/40 mix? Brand?
Old January 13, 2014   #50
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

In the beginning of this thread it was recommended to use: 60/40 mix of Miracle Potting mix and Black Kow
Old January 13, 2014   #51
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Are you using this 60/40 for transplant only and then plant into the ground or will you be using it also for container growing?

I usually use Fox Farms Happy Frog or Pro Mix HP or Ocean Forest for transplanting. I've had too much burn when I used Miracle Gro many years ago. When the transplants have 4-5 sets of true leaves, I start using a very weak solution of liquid kelp. I don't use any kind like Black Kow before transplanting into the ground.
Old January 13, 2014   #52
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

I will be growing in containers this year. Trying to figure out what is the best thing to use.
Old January 14, 2014   #53
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

I can't tell you which 'soil' is the best to you, I can only suggest what we've used.

Transplant into a mixture of ProMix HP (that is high is peat and lower in nutrients) with Happy Frog or Ocean Forest - close to 50/50. There are other great soils also to use I like to use ones with mycorrhizae.

I also plant peppers in 4 or 5 gallon containers. I mix the soil I used last year with a soil with mycos - usually 50/50. After about 4-5 weeks, the plants have settled and I weekly feed with liquid kelp (1/2 strength) and when they begin to bud, I add Superbloom to the mixture, also 1/2 strength.

If anyone has better suggestions, I'd love to try them this year.
Old January 16, 2014   #54
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, I am looking into your suggestions. Never heard of Happy frog or ocean forest
Old January 16, 2014   #55
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Here's a link to Fox Farm Happy Frog
http://foxfarmfertilizer.com/index.p...ting-soil.html

and one to Ocean Forest
http://foxfarmfertilizer.com/index.p...ting-soil.html

one to Pro Mix HP
http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/pro...rowing-medium/

I usually find the soils at one of the nurseries. Way too $$$ to buy online with shipping.
Old January 16, 2014   #56
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

Now, i was reading a link that says to stay away from mostly peat products. Now i think that was starting seeds, not sure about after that.
Old January 16, 2014   #57
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Today while purchasing seeds at a garden center, I found another potting mix I think I'll mix with the soil I didn't use last year for transplanting. The brand is Roots Organic. https://www.sunlightsupply.com/p-120...ting-soil.aspx

I'm always willing to learn and try new things.

I usually use peat pellets for starting pepper seeds and have no problems, though I do transplant before the roots get entangled in the mesh around the pellet. For tomatoes, since they grow much faster than peppers, I plant the seeds in one of the Fox Farms potting mixes. Maybe I'll try the Roots Organic this year.
Old January 21, 2014   #58
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

Sorry for the delay... I was at Farm and Fleet this weekend and was quite surprised to see they carried some of the Fox Farm products. I picked up 5 bags of Happy Frog.

I keep reading that manure is a key to great peppers. Can I mix this Happy frog with manure?

Also, keep reading about staying away from primarly peat products. I pulled up the Happy Frog potting soil and it doesn't say anything about peat. ???

I also have a worm composter. I just emptied two trays of great compost. Can I use this on the peppers? or should I save that for my tomatoes?

Last edited by Dork Fish; January 21, 2014 at 02:07 PM.
Dork Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2014   #59
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Good for you looking at other soils/fertilizers/etc.! It sounds like you're on the road to a great garden.

Since peppers and tomatoes and eggplant (as well as many, many more species) are in the nightshade family, they would all benefit from your worm compost.
Old January 22, 2014   #60
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Those worm casings are black gold. I think commercial worm farms make as much from the waste product as from the worms.

One of the things I have learned about compost in container plants, especially peppers, is that the weather seems to determine how much is too much. I can get away with more when it is warm and sunny, but if there happens to be a stretch of cold, wet, cloudy weather, then I have problems with damping off and stem rot.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote