Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old July 20, 2006   #1
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Default Asian Herbs

Hi All,

DH and I frequent Vietnamese and Thai restaurants quite often. If possible, I would like to know which variety of mint is used for Vietnamese type spring rolls. I would also like to know what type of basil is served with Vietnamese and Thai foods...(It doesn't taste like Genovese).

Thanks for your help.

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2006   #2
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

Really dumb suggestion on my part, but is the basil "Thai Basil"?
supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2006   #3
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergirl
Really dumb suggestion on my part, but is the basil "Thai Basil"?
I don't know. I haven't tried Thai Basil at a nursery. I do know that the basil in the dish is quite spicy.
Old July 25, 2006   #4
jerseyjohn61
Tomatovillian™

Angelique,

can't comment on the spices but, there is no
other rice like Thai-rice that I have ever tasted.
Incredibly light and fluffy. Almost a "Popcorn"
like essence to both taste and texture.

Has anyone else tasted this in Thailand Rice?

DW obtained a ten lb. bag a few years back from
someone opening a restaurant. We dearly need to
find some more.

Sorry for stealing the thread Angel, but that rice
is super....JJ61
jerseyjohn61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2006   #5
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Lemon Grass is used often in Thai food and it is so very easy to grow.
Old July 25, 2006   #6
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

jerseyjohn61,

Are you talking about - Thai Jasmine Rice?
Old July 25, 2006   #7
jerseyjohn61
Tomatovillian™

Possibly Robin. Not cetain of a full name for
the type. I remember it was much more
expensive than run-of-the-mill rice....JJ61
Old July 25, 2006   #8
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

jerseyjohn61,

I think that it may either be the Jasmine, Basmati (white) or Brown Basmati rice you're taliking about. Try to find it at an Asian store near you. Most of them carry all 3 of those. Describe it the way you did on this forum. Though your description matches that of the Brown Basmati rice the best.

So sorry for highjacking your thread angelique. My apologies.
Old July 26, 2006   #9
jerseyjohn61
Tomatovillian™

Will do Robin and thanks again. And now back to
our regularly scheduled thread....JJ61
Old July 27, 2006   #10
annietomatomad
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Asian Herbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelique
Hi All,

DH and I frequent Vietnamese and Thai restaurants quite often. If possible, I would like to know which variety of mint is used for Vietnamese type spring rolls. I would also like to know what type of basil is served with Vietnamese and Thai foods...(It doesn't taste like Genovese).

Thanks for your help.

Angelique
Hi Angelique,

I just checked out this thread and can help you out on this. I make these rolls very frequently. The type of mint used for the rolls are normally spearmint but you can also use peppermint.

As for the basil, it is Thai basil which has a slightly purplish stem. Next time you go to a Thai/Vietnamese restaurant and if you happen to order a noodle soup dish like Pho, they will serve you the basil and sprouts on the side, just take home a stem, start it in water, and once it roots, plant it in some potting soil. You'll have your own basil plant in no time. Besides these herbs, I normally also add purple shiso to my rolls. They are wonderful and have a distinct flavor and aroma.

Jerseyjohn, I'm almost certain that what you had was Thai Jasmine rice. They are very fragrant and very fluffy. Basmati tends to be more grainy and thin.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Annie
annietomatomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2006   #11
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Annie,

Thank you for all of the wonderful advice. I'll definitely follow your advice. Is shiso grown as a Fall or Summer herb in CA? I think I remember seeing grown in the Fall.

I absolutely love Jasmine rice. I college, I had a Vietnamese roomate who made it all of the time. I especially loved left over jasmine rice in homemade fried rice (made with Maggi (thick soy sauce), garlic, green onions, fried eggs, peas, carrots and cooked Chinese sausage).

I also like Basmati. I tend to use it as a base to serve under stir fries or other fusion type foods (green enchilada chicken stir fry). Freshly made Jasmine rice should not be covered by other flavors.

I also love Hmong sticky rice (totally different than the Japanese version). I don't know where to buy this rice, nor do I know how to prepare it.
Old July 27, 2006   #12
jerseyjohn61
Tomatovillian™

JASMINE RICE: ASK FOR IT BY NAME!
Old July 28, 2006   #13
annietomatomad
Tomatovillian™

Hi Angelique,

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelique
Thank you for all of the wonderful advice. I'll definitely follow your advice. Is shiso grown as a Fall or Summer herb in CA? I think I remember seeing grown in the Fall.
I am almost sure it's a summer herb. I confess I've not had too much success growing it so I just go to the Asian grocery store and get a bunch when I need some. But don't feel limited to these herbs. The great thing about these Vietnamese rolls is that you can experiment and use almost any herb you like.

I absolutely love Jasmine rice. I college, I had a Vietnamese roomate who made it all of the time. I especially loved left over jasmine rice in homemade fried rice (made with Maggi (thick soy sauce), garlic, green onions, fried eggs, peas, carrots and cooked Chinese sausage).
You know, I grew up eating Jasmine rice too. And fried rice is definitely wonderful for leftover rice. As a matter of face, a friend of mine will not cook fried rice with freshly cooked rice. And my mother also used to advice me to cook fried rice with day old rice. Made it drier and fluffier when fried I guess.

Of late however, I've been doing more brown and basmati rice ever since I became diabetic. Jasmine rice has one of the highest glycemic counts for rice! sigh... Basmati is one of the lowest--how about that, huh?

I also love Hmong sticky rice (totally different than the Japanese version). I don't know where to buy this rice, nor do I know how to prepare it.
I don't know Hmong sticky rice but if it's anything like Thai/South East Asia sticky rice, I know what you're talking about. They are certainly yummy! Again, very much in small moderations for me now...
My Thai basil is going really well in my yard. If I have a lot of extras, I'll try to remember to bring some to the NORCATT event (if I make it) for you.

Cheers, Annie
annietomatomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2006   #14
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by annietomatomad
I am almost sure it's a summer herb. I confess I've not had too much success growing it so I just go to the Asian grocery store and get a bunch when I need some. But don't feel limited to these herbs. The great thing about these Vietnamese rolls is that you can experiment and use almost any herb you like.
I definitely will. I plan on trying cilantro and Mexican Yerba Buena. DH and I went to a Thai restaurant in SF that served Vietnamese spring rolls. We were both confident that they used YB in their rolls.

Quote:
Of late however, I've been doing more brown and basmati rice ever since I became diabetic. Jasmine rice has one of the highest glycemic counts for rice! sigh... Basmati is one of the lowest--how about that, huh?
Sorry to hear about your diabetes. Have you tried eating quinoa instead of rice? My no means is it as sweet and flavorful as Jasmine rice, but it is certainly softer than brown rice. I actually like brown rice, a lot.

Quote:
I don't know Hmong sticky rice but if it's anything like Thai/South East Asia sticky rice, I know what you're talking about. They are certainly yummy!
I haven't had the opportunity to try Thai sticky rice. Hmong sticky rice is dry (but not hard), chewy, sweet clumps that are eaten with your fingers. The few times that I have had it, it has been served at room temperature.

Quote:
My Thai basil is going really well in my yard. If I have a lot of extras, I'll try to remember to bring some to the NORCATT event (if I make it) for you.
Thank you very much. I am starting to doubt whether or not I will make it there. I have lost about half of my plants to nematodes and heat. The "healthly", aka not dead plants, don't have any fruit set on them.

I went on vacation for a week and returned to several dead plants. I left my grandpa in charge of watering them...I took me a day to not be mad at him...DH had to remind me that they are just plants (tomatos, tomatillos, cukes, zukes, etc) and trees (apple and cherry trees are in bad shape). I am really amazed that he was able to kill of my peppermint and summer savory plants. Oh well.
Old July 28, 2006   #15
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Thai basil. It has purple leaves. If I can remember I'll post a pic.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote