Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old January 14, 2015   #16
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I really wanted to try onions this year but alas I think its a lil to late here to start them from seed.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2015   #17
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I'm further north than you obviously, NC/Va line, but I think you might still be able to start them. If not, there are always sets available. Maybe somebody from SC will chime in?
Old January 14, 2015   #18
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
You may also find this seed starting calculator guide helpful:

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/e-pdgseed...veTools_122014
Thanks, I made a desktop shortcut. This will be helpful.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #19
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

Default starting onions indoors in Iowa

Last year I started my Walla Walla onions January 30th indoors and they did very well ; set them out in early May and they all developed to a nice size. I also started some Ailsa Craig onions March 1st indoors and although they matured later (late August) they did very well also given their late start, yielding nice sized bulbs. I did, however, baby them inside a lot, feeding them fish emulsion weekly and kept them all topped to between 1&1/2 to 2"tall until the last two weeks before setting them out.

** just a note: I found I had better luck filling my container 3/4 full of potting mix and filling the remainder with seed starting mix. My thought is that the seed starting mix gives them a good start and the rich potting mix helps them bulb up quicker. It works for me anyway
Old January 18, 2015   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here are some onions I have growing now.
IMG_201501186346.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #21
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Wow, those are nice. Do they push up when ready? When's your onion harvest?

I was going to grow Alisa Craig but they are on back order. Not happy with that seller. Instead I started a spanish onion from Lowes last week. They are the size of an eyelash.So cute to watch them grow.

Let us know how the mixed medium works for you, Wally. I dense planted one batch in Espoma seed started and another tray in Jiffy mix.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Wow, those are nice. Do they push up when ready? When's your onion harvest?

I was going to grow Alisa Craig but they are on back order. Not happy with that seller. Instead I started a spanish onion from Lowes last week. They are the size of an eyelash.So cute to watch them grow.

Let us know how the mixed medium works for you, Wally. I dense planted one batch in Espoma seed started and another tray in Jiffy mix.

- Lisa
Lisa you wouldn't believe where these onions came from if I told you.

These onions came from 2 years ago.
Last year these didn't put out seeds like the others did.
Some were buried in a dirt pile in the back.
I got so sick and tired of onions and giving onions away some were just tossed in the yard and dried up sitting there all summer in the heat.
This fall they showed signs of life.
I picked the rascals up and replanted them.
They are growing like weeds some are bunching but I dont care.
What A hoot they will surely put out seeds this year.
My onion harvest is when they start to put out seeds or I get darn good and ready which ever comes first.
I have no idea if they will push up or not.
I done know what they will do.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #23
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Yep, I do believe it! Onions are real troopers.

I have some big scallions like yours next to the landscape timber border where I can't get to them. If they were bulbing I think you would see the tops peaking out. Up here we plant out in March/April and harvest around July. Everything has to jive or they are too small.

The row to the left looks like it might be bunching. On the weekend my father used to eat a bowl of scallions, thinly slicked radishes, sliced banana and lots of sour cream. Have to admit I like that too but times change and no one can eat a whole bowl of sour cream without the guilt.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2015   #24
taboule
Tomatovillian™

I started my gardening for the season last night, a tray each of Granex and Walla Wall seeds. I also soaked some pellets but ran out of energy, today I'll use them for pepper seeds.

Someone earlier mentioned using a combo of materials, potting mix at the bottom, then seeding mix. I do the same at times, especially when running low on the seeding mix. Works well, the seeds can't tell the difference.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2015   #25
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mcgee View Post
** just a note: I found I had better luck filling my container 3/4 full of potting mix and filling the remainder with seed starting mix. My thought is that the seed starting mix gives them a good start and the rich potting mix helps them bulb up quicker. It works for me anyway
Interesting you do this, I did the same this year. Good to know you've seen improved results with this method. I started my onions 2 weeks earlier this year because they weren't quite as big as I wanted when it came time to plant out last year. I'm hoping the nutrition of the good potting mix will help with that along with the extra couple weeks under the lights.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2015   #26
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

I will be starting my onion seeds at the end of January / beginning of February. I'm growing Dakota Tears and Rossa di Milano.

I've read that if the onions get 4 - 5 inches tall before the transplant date, a person should cut the tops back to 2 - 3 inches. Is this what most people do?
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2015   #27
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Yes, mine get a couple haircuts before their plant out date.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2015   #28
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I keep mine trimmed to about 3-4"

These don't seem quite as big as last year at this age.
And they like it on the cool side.

Last year I divided them from the germ-pot and set them in a small hoop house at about 6 weeks.

After that some were grown in pure coco coir with and fed week seabird poop tea almost every day unit plant out a month later.
JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2015   #29
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I really wanted to try onions this year but alas I think its a lil to late here to start them from seed.
For South Carolina, its not to late to order plants. look at Dixondale farms in Tx website, plug in your zip to check your shipping date, and pick out a few of their short day types.

Anyway, that's what I'm trying this year because I was too busy/distracted last September to get seed started.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2015   #30
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Thanks I will check them out!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote