Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 13, 2019   #1
lubadub
Tomatovillian™

Default Brix Score

I became interested in using a refractometer to determine Brix scores of my tomatoes just to get an idea about how my tomato nutritional plan was working. According to persons more knowledgeable about this than I, I looked up scores reported as norms on the Internet. I found that a reading of 4 was poor, 6 average, 8 good and 12 excellent. Brix essentially measures the sugars dissolved in the juice of something such as a tomato. The higher the Brix, the better the tomato. I went to a large Master Gardener's site near where I lived and their beef steak tomatoes had a Brix of 6 %. My beefsteak tomatoes had a Brix of 5%. The garden of a friend near where I live had tomatoes with a Brix of 6%. Another friend had tomatoes with a Brix of 3%. I found nothing around me, so far, with a Brix above 6%, nothing good or excellent. Any of you looking at Brix scores and if so, how are your tomatoes adding up? One strawberry had a Brix of 7% and a Blueberry 15%, just out of interest.