Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 12, 2017   #1171
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Here we go again. Yesterday was another heat advisory for 105-109 heat index and today we have a much higher one. 110-114 heat index.

Heat Advisory
Weather Updated: Aug 12 3:31AM
Issued by the National Weather Service
For Aransas County, Texas
HEAT ADVISORY FROM 1PM CDT SAT UNTIL 7PM CDT SAT ...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CORPUS CHRISTI HAS ISSUED A HEAT ADVISORY, WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING. * TEMPERATURE...MAXIMUM HEAT INDEX VALUES WILL RANGE FROM 110 TO 114 DEGREES. * IMPACTS...PROLONGED OUTDOOR ACTIVITY WITHOUT TAKING PRECAUTIONS, SUCH AS DRINKING PLENTY OF NON-ALCOHOLIC LIQUIDS, AND TAKING FREQUENT BREAKS FROM THE HEAT IN AIR CONDITIONED BUILDINGS, MAY RESULT IN HEAT EXHAUSTION OR EVEN HEAT STROKE. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A HEAT ADVISORY MEANS THAT HEAT INDICES OF 110 DEGREES OR HIGHER ARE EXPECTED OVER MOST OF THE AREA FOR AT LEAST TWO HOURS. PROLONGED EXPOSURE COMBINED WITH PHYSICAL ACTIVITY COULD CAUSE HEAT EXHAUSTION AND EVEN HEAT STROKE. THE ELDERLY, THE VERY YOUNG, THE SICK, AND PEOPLE WITH HEART CONDITIONS ARE MOST AT RISK IN EXTREME HEAT. REDUCE, ELIMINATE, OR RESCHEDULE STRENUOUS ACTIVITIES TO THE COOLEST TIMES OF THE DAY. IF YOU MUST BE OUTSIDE, REDUCE YOUR ACTIVITIES, AND TAKE FREQUENT BREAKS PREFERABLY IN AN AIR CONDITIONED AREA. WEAR LIGHTWEIGHT, LIGHT-COLORED CLOTHING. DRINK PLENTY OF NON-ALCOHOLIC LIQUIDS, PREFERABLY WATER, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT FEEL THIRSTY. &&

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #1172
bower
Tomatovillian™

We're on day three of another mini-heatwave, with temperatures close to 80 F and humidex above it. Nothing like Texas but it's as hot as it gets here, usually only in July. The normal high for this time of year is 20 C, just below 70 F.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #1173
imp
Tomatovillian™

If your heat is a plus 10 more than what you are used to, and higher humidity, that can be rough.

Here in n. Texas, we stay drier than most . I just was out for a moment and thought it's a bit cooler today ( overcast) and it's only 88 here.

Your 80's is high for you, but our 80's are 10 to 12 degrees low for us this time of year; all about location.

imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #1174
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It's starting to look like rain is on its way. I looked to the west and there's lightning. It'll be nice if it actually rains here.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #1175
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Somethings rotten in Denmark.
When you listen to the weather you hear about all these record highs we are setting.
But all of these temperatures are taken in the big cities.
In Austin it is the airport.
Really, you think, now why would it be so hot at the airport?
If you look where I live you cant find them.
The record high for Bastrop in July is 111F in 1954.
All of the record highs for the days of July are in the 20th century.
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?month=7
Here is the one for August.
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?month=8
Now in September 2005 it was frigging hot for several days.
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?month=9

Lets break it down as to what is causing this record highs.
Thousands of AC units pumping heat.
Thousands of cars pumping heat.
Concrete storing heat.
All the other machines making heat and using energy.
All of this stuff contributes to the record highs.
Even if you are using an electric car or solar panels you are still making heat.

I am not trying to prove or disprove anything that is not the point.
What I am saying is when it is hot and you hear of all these record highs look where they are coming from.
Take a look at your areas and look at the dates it is fun.
Try to find out where they were taking these temperatures then and now.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #1176
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
If your heat is a plus 10 more than what you are used to, and higher humidity, that can be rough.

Here in n. Texas, we stay drier than most . I just was out for a moment and thought it's a bit cooler today ( overcast) and it's only 88 here.

Your 80's is high for you, but our 80's are 10 to 12 degrees low for us this time of year; all about location.

Well I'll tell you, after growing up in Texas City and then relocating to Charleston, WV when I was 13- I surely don't miss that Gulf humidity and heat! It's nice to visit my parents from time to time (they are buried in Webster) when I'm down there on business, but not for any extended period of time!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #1177
b54red
Tomatovillian™

We get the worst of both worlds down here. Very high temps and very high humidity. Last year mid summer through fall was easier to deal with because of a severe drought and the humidity was somewhat lower. We have had a lot of rain this summer and that drought is only a memory right now. July was cooler than normal because it rained most of the month usually several times a day but starting a few weeks ago we have seen quite a few days hitting 100 and still getting rain nearly every day but now it just feels hotter after a rain because the rains come in sudden and fast and leave the same way. I love it when it stays cloudy for a few hours but usually the rain comes in with almost no warning and then is gone leaving a stinking, steaming, sunny mess. It has been nearly impossible to control the foliage diseases and keep any kind of fungicide on the plants. Usually this time of summer it rarely rains more than once a week if that. We got 1 1/2 inches in less than an hour this morning; but at least it didn't rain yesterday.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #1178
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Well I'll tell you, after growing up in Texas City and then relocating to Charleston, WV when I was 13- I surely don't miss that Gulf humidity and heat! It's nice to visit my parents from time to time (they are buried in Webster) when I'm down there on business, but not for any extended period of time!
Yes, it is different from the more southern areas of Texas to where I am, n. Texas ( Wichita Falls), we are much drier. as far as humidity goes. We did have rain yesterday, lovely and cooled it down some, but you can tell the humidity is up today.
Old August 13, 2017   #1179
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Today was a complete fluke. It's only in the 80s. It's cloudy with rain nearby, but it rains itself out before getting here.
I had to wear a shirt because it feels cold in the house
The heat will be back tomorrow.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #1180
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

My favorite time of year is at the end of February in Houston- there are large Petrochemical conferences that I attend, and I can roll down those windows and enjoy cool breezes in the 70's!
Old August 13, 2017   #1181
imp
Tomatovillian™

Oh, if you can breathe easily in Houston, bless your heart! I get itchy in Houston from all the petrochemical stuff in the air.

But spring can be lovely in Texas, all 2 to 3 days of it, LOL!
Old August 14, 2017   #1182
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Oh, if you can breathe easily in Houston, bless your heart! I get itchy in Houston from all the petrochemical stuff in the air.

But spring can be lovely in Texas, all 2 to 3 days of it, LOL!
Yes, during the falling of the One Yellow Leaf....LOLOLOL
Old August 14, 2017   #1183
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Pasadena is the smelliest place I have ever been too in my life.
The refinery in Texas city used to have I think 5 acre lots for each employee to have a small farm and garden when it first opened.
All of the land where those plants are now was once a huge ranch.
Now the soil can catch on fire.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2017   #1184
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

There is a nice cool breeze outside this morning. Just came in from watering and barely sweating, yay!

Supposed to be real hot again today though. Right now it is 82 degrees and 72% humidity.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2017   #1185
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Our high yesterday was 79f with a nice breeze. Felt great! This morning at 8a we are 70f. I love it. Rain tomorrow?
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote