Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 10, 2007   #1
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Default Dwarf plant container ?

Hey everyone ~ Hope all is well !
I'm gearing up for spring, (even though mother natures got somehting else in mind), and I was wondering:

Could I use 1-2 gallon nursey pots for my dwarf plants?
I know I'd have to water them a lot, but would they work ?

I need to know because I'm going to be growing out 15 dwarf plants for the "dwarf project" ....

Thanks ~

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2007   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Tom-I have never grown a dwarf in that size container but it seems small to me-a 5 gallon container is pretty small, so 1-2 gallons is pretty small. I know Tania does grow some dwarves in small containers, I think 1-2 gallons, maybe she will post in this thread.
Old April 10, 2007   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I think 4 gallons is the minimum for a 1-2' dwarf. You could make an earthbox, or plant two dwarfs in a 12-15 gallon Rubbermaid tub.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2007   #4
pbud
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for asking that question, Tom. Saved me from asking the same thing.
pbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2007   #5
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
Tom-I have never grown a dwarf in that size container but it seems small to me-a 5 gallon container is pretty small, so 1-2 gallons is pretty small. I know Tania does grow some dwarves in small containers, I think 1-2 gallons, maybe she will post in this thread.
LOL
Yes, I do grow some dwarves in 1 gal containers - but these are more like 'mini-dwarves' , which don't grow taller than 12".

I grow other (=larger) tree-type dwarves, like New Big Dwarf, or Citron COmpact, or Golden Champion, and the like, in 5 gal containers - I don't think they'd do well in smaller pots.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2007   #6
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Tom, have you given any thought to raiding the local grocery store bakery and deli to collect 5-gallon buckets? I've gotten quite a few that way and they've always been free. All I had to do was rinse them out, drill some holes an inch or two from the bottom, and fill them with soil/mix and they were good to go.

I also found that if I fill them about 1/2 full of soil when I first transplant, as the plant grows some, I can continue to add soil to it to allow more rooting along the stem.

I've also used empty kitty-litter buckets (the 4-gallon square ones) and have had good luck with them.
Old April 11, 2007   #7
biermaster
Tomatovillian™

Default Dwarf plant container

I planted a couple of small semi-dwarf plant in 2 gal containers that I make like self watering using a small trash container as the "well". I still ended up having to water almost daily during the summer months. I cut some 5 ft wire in half and made a cage for each of them. They were crowed but it did work.
Old April 11, 2007   #8
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Because I have so many, I don't think 5-gallon pots are do-able ...
Really, all I need are a few fruits from each plant - I mean ,,, F2 is all about the "finder" stage of the game ... 15 5-gallon pots would be nuts ~ lol ~

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2007   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Tom, Check out this site. Ami
http://www.groworganic.com/item_GP21...wBags3Gal.html
Old April 11, 2007   #10
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I'm thinking the problem might be not be just getting the larger containers, so much as having to lay out quite a bit of money to buy all those bags of soil mix that have to go in them. Unless you have a very huge perfectly rotted compost pile? (Don't I wish! )
Dee
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2007   #11
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Pro-Mix $12
Shredded Pine Bark $2
Makes 50 gallons of potting mix for $14.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2007   #12
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Tom...For this project , I think it is even beneficial to plant in smaller than normal containers....It will cause the plant to fruit earlier than normal, which will alow you to obtain seeds and get them to the next set of growers on time....I currently have 3 Tumbler f3's growing in 1 gallon containers that have been ripening fruit steadily since April 1....Also getting about 3 hours of late afternoon sun, through a south facing window...I fertilize them , as they got bigger than I imagined, but they are fine...
I would use 3 gallon containers if I were you, and just be careful with the watering...
I typically plant out 15-25 container tomatoes and only a handful get a container larger than 5 gallons....I could drive to Seattle and buy from the farmers market weekly for the cost of filling a bunch of large containers....Plus there is only so much room on my patio....Darn kids need a little room to play.......

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2007   #13
honu
Tomatovillian™

Jeanne, Thanks for the 3 gallon recommendation!
That really helps me out, since potting mix is sooo expensive here. I was thinking of using 7 gal pots, like I did for NBD, but glad to know I can get away w/ 3 gal.
Your strategy makes sense -- my tomatoes and peppers always want to fruit early when they are in too small containers -- like when I get behind in final transplanting. But I really need to watch the watering when I use small pots. I had them on daily drippers, but that turned out to be not enough water, and I had lots of BER, until I increased the watering. The water demand gets pretty high once they set fruit.

Tom, Thanks for asking the question!
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2007   #14
Deer Park
Tomatovillian™

Tom- I have used 1-2 gallon black plastic just fine but the trick is to cut the bottom off and set on prepared soil. I mulch around the bucket with leaves and grass clippings or whatever (newspapers) so the sun doesn't beat down and heat up the roots.

Michael
Deer Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2007   #15
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

1-2 gallon should be plenty. I grew a Polish Dwarf in a 2 gal pot a couple of years ago and it grew and produced just fine. make sure you use or make a potting mix that will retain moisture well. The addition of peat moss will help.
Mantis
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote