Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 14, 2006   #11
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Status report - as of now (after midnight - Tuesday AM!) I have at least one flat (15 pots) of all hot and sweet peppers, tomatillos, eggplant, and am up to the "M"s with tomatoes (Magnus was the last I transplanted tonight). It is really nice therapy - especially with the unseasonably warm weather.

A few observations - in most cells, there is a range of plant sizes. The 15 largest go into individual pots, the smallest all go into one pot to size up (hence a future transplant job!).

Transplanting into dry soilless mix is very gentle on the seedlings - I poke a hole with my index finger and ease the seedling into the mix with my thumb - warm watering then firms the mix around the plant.

Even though the seedlings have been in the sun, once transplanted, I leave the flats of pots with newly transplanted seedlings in my garage for a few days so that the seedlings can recover a bit from the shock of being pulled apart from each other.