Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 11, 2016   #16
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much... The weather is just crazy right now... 2-3 days of sun and now we'll have another week of rain with around 1-3h sunlight per day

Most plants are still growing like crazy, Orange Russian has reached shoulder height (less than 1 mont after plant out date). The ones that seem to be a bit slower are:
White oxheart (no wonder, it's a late variety, but it honestly has just one single fruit set and it somehow stays tiny), Candy Sweet Icicle and Michael Pollan. The last two are Brad Gates varieties so they aren't made for german climate at all On the other hand, Barry's Crazy Cherry and Amethyst Cream Cherry are doing just fine.

In german online communities I've already been warned that some Brad Gates varieties aren't doing that great here but I think it's worth giving them a try. And lets remember, it's only june, they still have plenty of time... And till they'll ripen I'll have others to harvest.
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2016   #17
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

After around 4-5 weeks of heavy rains and almost no sunshine at all we now had 2 days with >30°C and bright sun - but tonight or tomorrow we'll have a thunderstorm and it will be at least 10°C cooler and rainy again

I think I saved my tomatoes by pruning off all the lower leaves and spraying them with a fungizid. Nothing that I like to do but I had no choice.
Right now they seem to be slightly overfertilized, I've applied less than last year but regarding the bad weather and lack of sunshine it was still too much.
I still do have a good fruit set in most plants. Trefle du Togo sadly struggles with setting fruits...

Beside that they look quite healthy in my opinion

This one sowed itself from some rotten currant tomatoes from last year, I just couldn't harvest them all... I've already killed probably 100 seedlings but I wanted to keep at least one

Henderson's Pink Ponderosa

Orange Russian 117

Candy Sweet Icicle, finally starting to set a decent amount of fruits

White Oxheart seems to be the definition of a late tomato

Barry's Crazy Cherry, literally crazy when it comes to production

Striped Cavern

Michael Polan

Kremser Perle

Old Yellow Candystripe

Trefle du Togo

Northern Lights

Kellogg's Breakfast
Old July 6, 2016   #18
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

I'm in love with Amethyst Cream Cherry. Earliest tomato in my garden plus the only one that has some taste so far

The taste really surprised me because it was labled mild and I didn't expect much. But it has a nice complex tomato flavor. So far it's sadly not very prolific because the fruits are really tiny but a nice fruit to snack on

I'll try to take pictures but so far I've always eaten them to fast
Old July 6, 2016   #19
MajorTom
Tomatovillian™

That Trefle du Togo is beautiful!
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #20
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Today I noticed that Tefle du Togo is starting to change it's color

White Oxheart is driving me crazy

I know BER is common in container plants. And I know that my plants get enough calcium so it is a problem of maldistribution not an actual deficiency. The weather changed lately - for the better - but the sudden rise in temperatures means stress which can cause BER.
I have it in Candy Sweet Icicle, an elongated tomato, so no surprise here. I had to remove maybe 10-20% of the first fruits. Thats ok.
I had 2 other plants were I had to remove a few fruits, that's ok too.

And I have White Oxheart where I had to remove 90% of all fruits
It's driving me crazy. I don't know if I'll get any ripe fruits of it because well, it's a late variety and I had to take off ALL of the 3 first fruit clusters, but it doesn't matter how good it will be - I'm NOT growing this again.
Old July 12, 2016   #21
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

So I tought it would be nice to add a few more pics

Keep in mind my plants are raised in 12-30l containers and I don't expect them to be as productive as in ground plants. When I make statements about productions I compare it to similar varieties raised under the same conditions

Eggplants, the plants don't look very happy but are still producing eggplants so it's okay.

Amethyst Cream Cherry

Trefle du Togo

Northern Lights, not very productive compared to all the other beefsteaks here

Kellog's Breakfast, labled as not productive but doing well for me

Hot Peppers, the first flush of fruits is harvested, now waiting for the second

Old Yellow Candy Stripe

Kremser Perle, very disappointed this year because it's labled as extra early and not starting to ripen after 4 of my midseason plants had ripe fruitsBeside that it's healthy and loaded with fruits so not bad in general but next year I'm trying another early variety.

Herson's Pink Ponderosa, good production, had a ripe fruit but it was tasteless

Striped Cavern, doing great

Barry's Crazy Cherry

Candy Sweet Icicle, was a bit late at first but is taking of now

White Oxheart, the only 2 remaining fruits

Orange Russian 117, loaded with fruits, doing perfectly fine in 12l containers, starting to ripen

So YES small container gardening is possible You don't get a lot of fruits per plant but you can get a lot of different tastes.
Old July 14, 2016   #22
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Oh I finally might have figured out what is wrong with my eggplants... It looks exactly like spider mite damage. I'll spray them in the evening. I honestly just thought they might be unhappy in their containers!

You know what is hard? Waiting till your first tomatoes get to peak ripeness and not picking them earlier
Old July 14, 2016   #23
MajorTom
Tomatovillian™

I have the same problem with picking them a day too soon. I can't help it!
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2016   #24
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Nice grow, and thanks for the pics.

Your "unknown pepper" is almost certainly plain old yellow fatalii. AFAIK there is no stable "white" fatalii. You probably bought seed from an F1 that just reverted to the base. Eat up. Fatalii is one of my favorite peppers. It really works well with fresh citrus. But be aware that it will be HOT.

You other pep does look like Trinidad Perfume. I know people buy them for the lack of heat, but I find it hard to conceive of any pepper from Trinidad not having the heat.

Dennis

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2016   #25
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Thanks The unknown pepper behaved strangely - the new fruits became tinier and tinier. The plant looks great and healthy, but the new fruits are honestly pea sized and ripe!
With the trinidad perfume I don't know... I've googled a lot of pics and the color is off. But in general, I don't like the taste, it has a strong, very weird taste and it is a true spitter for me.
So I won't grow it again.

But I really love Pasilla Bajio, I'm just disappointed by the amount of fruit I got - 4 peppers so far. I even broke out the first blossoms so that the plant can grow bigger... Now it's blooming again and I hope I'll get more fruits before the season is over.

I harvested my first Orange Russian today, it was mild, lightly sweet, no acidic taste at all and kind of fruity. But I think it would have needed a few more days... As always I have a second ripe fruit on the plant that I'll pic on staturday and see if it has more taste.
Old July 14, 2016   #26
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I'm late to your thread with all the wonderful pictures,but I do have a question about one variety you've shown twice and called Cuor di Bui Reif Heart suggesting onevariety,and I don't know where the giant comes in.

If I've misunderstood please clarify for me.Danke.

I know Cuor di Bui very well,but Reif Red Heart is a completely different variety,not the same as the Bui one which is pink,reif is red..

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Reif_Red_Heart

And Cuor di Bui should be pink hearts.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Cuor_Di_Bue

Hope that helps,

Carolyn, whose paternal grandfather's family came from Germany,so I grew up with some German specialties that my mother cooked for us,, we made our own sauerkraut and pickles, pans of head cheese were to be seen at my grandfather's place along with large jars of hockey's,(pickled pig'sfeet). I've visisted many areas in Germany and have many tomato friends there as well,and most are members of Tville.
Old July 14, 2016   #27
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. The fatalii could be genetically weak, but I have seen similar in plants with decreasing amounts of sunlight. Is it getting good sun?

BTW, you might do better getting seeds here or in an amateur swap than from death-dealing internet sellers. eBay, for example, is famous for "special seed" rip-offs.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2016   #28
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful plants, how impressive you are growing them all in containers! It won't be long now till you start tasting the fruits of your labor.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2016   #29
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, really nice to see you here commenting
It is this variety: http://www.irinas-shop.de/cuor-di-bu...d-p-10501.html
It is clearly red, not pink. I honestly don't know if the seller got the name right but I think it can't be Reif Red Heart because this one is a really short plant for an indet. variety and not wispy at all. I can take a picture of the whole plant for you... I had it in the ground last season and even there it never got above 1,20m height.

The fatalii gets almost full sunlight but in june there wasn't much sun at all I understand that fruits get smaller with bad weather conditions but pea sized really seems a bit too small? None of my others reacted like that. I'll take another picture later.
I've had all my pepper seeds from pepperlover but I'll switch seed sources for the next season...

Yes, I hope that I can really start to taste my tomatoes by the end of july
Old July 15, 2016   #30
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Here are the promised pics

The pepper:

Cuor di Bue giant reif red plant:

This cage thing is 1,20 so this plant is REALLY short. Even my semi-det. Kremser Perle is a bit taller.