Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 8, 2016   #16
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I transfer my pictures to the computer and use Microsoft Office Picture Manager. It came with MS Office 2003. You can resize, turn them, etc.
Me too. Not the best editor, but it has all I usually need and it's so easy to use.

Good point on the gutters. They could be a big help or (lacking) a big problem.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #17
Langley Ranch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
does your barn have gutters? this may play an important factor and before installation also allows to get a rain barrel off of the roof runoff. an unadulterated high free drip can be problematic, imo.

looks like a good spot to get a break from west sun and wind. have a good time. love the dogs and hill country.
It does have gutters, thankfully. Hope to upgrade the water system soon, only lacking a few more pieces and time. When we do that, the gutters are supposed to be tied into it. Right now it is aggravating to see rain coming out of the gutters. (They run off the north and south sides of the building, btw.)
Thinking about what you said, though, I will ask my husband if I can't put a barrel under one on the southeast corner until we get the system going. That would be awesome, and capture some of the loss. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I'm interested in the assortment of rocks.
It looks like they were hauled in from some other part of the place at one time or another.
Worth, you are very observant. My husband did the all the clearing and dirt work for the building before the concrete was laid. He told me a week ago that when he was working on this end he had finally pushed over some piles he had saved for other purposes (including the original garden) and he was afraid I was going to run into a lot of rock (as in, more than usual?) which I did not notice. I personally did not observe anything I don't have on the other garden (except a couple of pieces of urbanite ). That garden is relatively close by, northwest of the shop. Most of the rock on top of this hill is, I think, what they call Packsaddle schist and, here and there, some chunks of quartz. But I am not a geologist!

Now we had hauled a small pickup bed load of dirt last week to mix in with this stuff. There is a stand of elms and oaks down in the bottom that makes kind of a natural barn that the horses and cows like to stand under on hot days. So it is a lot of leaves and some manure in various stages of decomposition. A lot of brown leaves in this haul which makes me think I'd better add nitrogen (is that right?). So some different rock in there, probably, too. Hopefully we'll get one more load of that in here this week and I can finish it up.

But, really good eye. Did not notice that. I just toss them into different piles as I am shoveling, whichever is closest to where I'm working, and then they eventually get to be the boundary.

Thanks,
erin
Save
Langley Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #18
Langley Ranch
Tomatovillian™

Default Photo Editing software

I am using this basic laptop for work in the wee sma's (like I am supposed to be doing now)... I will have to see if any kind of program came with it, or maybe I can download something that's not too big. Thanks for the suggestion!
Langley Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote