Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old April 10, 2011   #1
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Default How many potatoes per pot?

I know, that question is kind of like "How long is a piece of string".

A t-ville member was kind enough to give me some potato tubors, so I'm going to try them for the first time. Due to my accursed walnut trees, the potatoes have to go in containers also.

So - how many potato plants can you put in a large pot? Or - how many plants per gallon, or gallons per plant? (whichever is easier to answer).

I would prefer to harvest smaller potatoes.

From reading what I've found so far - sounds like I need to start by putting them somewhere bright and warm - maybe misting them with a bit of water to get them to start sprouting?

I have read about hilling - adding more dirt/compost as they grow.

Anything else obvious that I need to know, please say.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2011   #2
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
So - how many potato plants can you put in a large pot? Or - how many plants per gallon, or gallons per plant? (whichever is easier to answer).

I would prefer to harvest smaller potatoes.

From reading what I've found so far - sounds like I need to start by putting them somewhere bright and warm - maybe misting them with a bit of water to get them to start sprouting?

I have read about hilling - adding more dirt/compost as they grow.

Anything else obvious that I need to know, please say.
Hi Tam,

I answered a similar question in a post within another post and it did not come up in a search so here it goes.
"I calculated the volume of soil for an average potato plant in a row that is 18" wide, 12in spacing between plants and hilling of 6in to 9in. The volume is 0.75 to 1.125 cu ft. If you convert cubic feet to us gallons that is 5 to 7 gallons per plant."

Last year I did rows/hill and raised beds. I personally like raised beds because it was a breeze to harvest! I had a 12in tall raisedbed.

Of you do a raised bed/container...layer 4 inches of compost/soil mix rather shallow, set your tubers 9-12 inches apart sprouts facing up, add enough soil to cover and water. Keep adding soil as the plants grow 6in or so until you reach the top of the raise bed/container.Then is waiting until they flower and start dying and it's done.

This year i am also trying containers, I got 18gallon totes. My plan is to plant ~3 plants per tote. If you want smaller potatoes try a fingerling type, what kind did you get?

Happy potato season!