Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 11, 2019   #2956
bower
Tomatovillian™

Very thick frost this morning when the man came at the crack of dawn to cut the big trees south of the house. It was a perfect day for it with no wind. He cut about 15 big trees that were a menace to the house as well as blocking the sun. It was a pleasure to see it done with so much skill - the work he did in an hour would take an ordinary worker half a day. There are still some shaders but much improved, I think my tomatoes have a chance to ripen. Terrace garden should be good for garlic next summer. And best of all, no worry when the storms come around, of a log crashing into the house!

We'll have frost again tonight, but there's still lots of blooming in the garden after today. Pepper plants survived, so did the few veggies out by the door. Thunder and rain off of Melissa's north end will be spinning our way Saturday night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transformation.jpg (142.3 KB, 92 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2019   #2957
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations Bower. Nothing like more light for the garden. Skilled tree cutting is an art. I once watched a neighbour's 80 foot Sequoia tree being taken down. Took a long time for that job.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2019   #2958
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Smokey has had her fair share of the WEATHER, she has had her turn outside and back in again twice.
She has also eaten twice her daily ration of cat food and is now coiled up in her chair.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2019   #2959
imp
Tomatovillian™

Taking down big trees or those placed in dangerous spots can be an art. Glad you got some one who knew what they were doing and could do it safely and quickly, Bower!

Got to 30F last night, but I was snugged in under my summer quilt, my electric blanket and a winter comforter!! Blanket wasn't on, but the cat and I were quite happy and toasty. After being in the low 90's and high 80's, 30 was shivery cold!!
Old October 13, 2019   #2960
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Imp and Coastal. I've seen it all when it comes to chainsaw - from the highest art form to the absolute worst. Some guys think just because they have a saw in their hands they can do what they like with it. Could not take any chances with the big ones that could fall on the house! I had to dig into the grocery money to pay for it, but it's going to save me a LOT of anxiety when those winter storms come around and the trees are thrashing in the wind. Also just reckoning the deductible on insurance claims, it's a no brainer win-win-win to pay the expert in advance.
It's a steamy 60 F out there this morning, and I'm dodging the showers to get the next beds of garlic in. Maybe in the clear after this one. The ground is pretty wet but the row marks I put in the raked perfect beds yesterday are still there, not a total washout. Thanks to Melissa for the puff of tropical air.
Old October 13, 2019   #2961
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Could not take any chances with the big ones that could fall on the house! I had to dig into the grocery money to pay for it, but it's going to save me a LOT of anxiety when those winter storms come around and the trees are thrashing in the wind. Also just reckoning the deductible on insurance claims, it's a no brainer win-win-win to pay the expert in advance.
I can so relate to that! There was a huge pine tree about 20' from the southwest side of the house, which is the direction all of our nasty storms come from. We finally decided to bite the bullet and have it taken down. And now every time a bad storm rolls through, one of us will mention, "You know, I'm soooo glad that tree's gone!"

Yepper, there's something to be said for peace of mind. Well worth the money!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2019   #2962
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Smokey likes the new weather.
IMG_20191013_11266.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2019   #2963
imp
Tomatovillian™

Bower, I worry every time we get the bad wind storms here as there is a huge pecan tree about 12 to 15 feet from my back door, and if it falls the entrance to my basement will be sealed. And the basement is the safest place in a tornado here, but I no longer go there, LOL.

Can't afford the charges to get it down and it would also be a sad thing to take it out- it is about 80 plus years old and crops heavily every other year with some of the tastiest pecans you will get. I do know it and the huge oak next door have tremendous root systems, so maybe a saving grace there!!

Set a record here for second earliest frost at 30 degrees officially last night. Very early for here.
Old October 13, 2019   #2964
bower
Tomatovillian™

Imp, I hope your tree never goes down and just keeps giving those sweet pecans! I think in an urban area the trees are more resilient because of the shelter that houses provide too. So don't worry too much, think positive about this dear tree.
The man who cut 15 big fir and spruce trees for me for $300 charges $1000 for one maple in the city. The difference is in the risk. When trees are close to a home or a power line or both, you need to get up and take it down piece by piece so carefully. And they also charge to clean it up and take everything away. The trees in striking distance of my house were still about 30 feet away, with no underbrush and plenty of room to fell them orderly away from the house, as long as there was no wind blowing. I told him, I don't want you to clear up the brush. I'm paying you for your skills, I can get a buddy to help me with that. And so I got a good deal, I think both of us were well satisfied about it. He obviously enjoyed his work, and why not? All skill, done in an hour. If I end up on a diet of beans and rice in February, no worries I'll probably have enough sun to grow lettuce and other greens in the greenhouse by then! And my heat bill will go down, for letting the sun in.
@ Worth, Smokey looking good in fur! All weather animal.
We got up to 18 C today which is a summer day for us, it was awesome. Tx Melissa.
Old October 14, 2019   #2965
imp
Tomatovillian™

Yes, being almost in a business and mixed residential area, if that tree or even the younger one, ever have to come down, it'll be a job. And I would miss it, both as it is quite possibly over a hundred years old, LOL, and the shade it provides in the summer heat. I just do not like it when I see any trees moving to wildly in a wind storm.

Glad you will have more light as well as the safety issue. What will you do with the wood? Looks like some nice longer sections.
Old October 14, 2019   #2966
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

RAIN! Last night we got 7/10", the first rain we've had here at the house since September 13th. This is wonderful as today is planting day for carrots, more turnips, radishes, onions, scallions, and garlic. Yesterday I finished bed prep which consisted of digging trenches, watering those well several times (it was powder dry at least 8" down), adding compost to the backfill and watering well again.

We're supposed to get more rain tomorrow which will water everything in nicely. Rain before and after planting. Woo Hoo!
Old October 14, 2019   #2967
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
What will you do with the wood? Looks like some nice longer sections.
I haven't decided the details, but basic goal is that most of it will be incorporated into the landscape one way or another.

@ GoDawgs, congrats on finally some rain! Hope Bill gets some too.
https://phys.org/news/2019-10-drough...rn-states.html
Old October 14, 2019   #2968
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I haven't decided the details, but basic goal is that most of it will be incorporated into the landscape one way or another.

@ GoDawgs, congrats on finally some rain! Hope Bill gets some too.
https://phys.org/news/2019-10-drough...rn-states.html
Thanks for the thought Bower; but so far no luck. It has cooled a little today after yesterday getting in the mid 90s it looks like it may only get to the upper 80s which feels pretty good for a change. There is an increased forecast for a chance of rain over the next week and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Half my bell peppers have died this past month and all of my remaining tomatoes are just hanging on with TYLCV waiting for the few fruits still on them to ripen before I can remove them. I still have a good section of one of my beds with some still fairly healthy bell peppers and if it does remain cooler and we get some rain they will keep right on making I suppose. Despite the drought this was my best year ever for bell peppers and my tomatoes did fairly good due to decreases in foliage diseases. I don't remember ever having a summer with such relatively low humidity.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2019   #2969
b54red
Tomatovillian™

We got a bit of rain today but not much so far. Heavy rain to the south and north of us but it keeps missing us. Hopefully some of the heavy stuff will hit here during the night or in the next week. It has been misty most of the day with a few light sprinkles mixed in so things are wet. The surface of the soil is wet but down and inch or so and it is still like powder. Maybe it will keep on for a few days but even as little as we have gotten is more than in the past two whole months so I am thankful and it brought some cooler weather. This was the first day I haven't coated myself with sunscreen to work in the garden since April.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019   #2970
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I'm so glad to hear you're getting some rain, Bill! We had half an inch last night as most of it was south of us but we'll gratefully take what was given. We're supposed to have a front move through with wind today and down to 45 tomorrow morning but morning lows will be back to the 60's afterwards.