Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 2, 2018   #871
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Well, we know she does OK in the heat, let's see what she's really made of.(Wondering why the leaves are kinda droopy)
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018   #872
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Thomas said It was just transplanted. I think it looks fine.
and Don’t forget KARMA pink was bred and born in Zone 3 in northern Canada guys. I have no doubt he can grow it in a tunnel in Iceland if I could grow it in my open garden north of Edmonton and have fruit at 62 days.
This is not some fair weather only tomato.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018   #873
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Thomas said It was just transplanted. I think it looks fine.
and Don’t forget KARMA pink was bred and born in Zone 3 in northern Canada guys. I have no doubt he can grow it in a tunnel in Iceland if I could grow it in my open garden north of Edmonton and have fruit at 62 days.
This is not some fair weather only tomato.
KarenO
Just transplanted makes sense.
Old May 2, 2018   #874
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Update

My twin KPs reach the top of the extenders; picking delicious fruit regularly. Lots of fruit is still being set - nighttime lows are 71-72 this week so we are getting borderline.

My single KP (formerly shared with Big Beef) reached the top of the extenders a couple of weeks ago. I pulled the BB so the KP is now shared with the baby clone. 4 days for rooting, planted, this picture is 1 week later; so 11 days after it was clipped. Pretty impressive, don't you think?

Just to make sure that clip wasn't a fluke, I mistakenly cut a wrong leaf so cloned another. Look at the comparison with the roots with the next best cutting.
Now if these can set fruit in the heat/humidity of June, that would be something else.

You both did great work with this KARMA. Looking forward to the others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KP 05-01-2018.jpg (517.2 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg KP 5-1 bottom.jpg (591.7 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg KP Clone 5-1.jpg (286.5 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg KP Clone 2 5-2.jpg (217.5 KB, 184 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018   #875
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Oh my goodness Barb that’s so big! I have to say I love that you pulled out the other rather well known hybrid to make room for a second KARMA pink

KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; May 2, 2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old May 2, 2018   #876
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I finally planted both KP. First in container on April 26 and second in tomato bed today May 2. Weather finally is better. Now we wait.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018   #877
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Oh my goodness Barb that’s so great! It’s huge! And that clone rooted wonderfully well It has been so fun to see your updates. So just today from Icelandvand from Florida, it’s wonderful to see. Thank you for the update once again
KarenO
Old May 2, 2018   #878
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I finally planted both KP. First in container on April 26 and second in tomato bed today May 2. Weather finally is better. Now we wait.
I like that you are trying it both in a pot and in the ground. That will be an interesting comparison. Can’t wait for you to taste them.
My own are not yet planted out, I better get at it
K
Old May 2, 2018   #879
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Amazing Barb!
Old May 4, 2018   #880
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Nice lookin plants Barb, they look well fed.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2018   #881
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Well, I hate to be the first to publicly report that things aren't going so well, but that's the case with my batch of Karma Pinks. Went well for about 4-5 weeks, then crashed with leaves drying up. Prior to drying up, the undersides were very, very purple. I'm going to replant and change some things, and of course, the weather is reasonably settled here now, so they can go outside shortly after getting a couple of sets of true leaves. I had several other varieties that had some of this leaf drying issue, but KP had it much worse than any others. I *think* that maybe the issue was that I under-watered them. (?) Glad you sent extra seeds, Marsha!
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2018   #882
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Well, I hate to be the first to publicly report that things aren't going so well, but that's the case with my batch of Karma Pinks. Went well for about 4-5 weeks, then crashed with leaves drying up. Prior to drying up, the undersides were very, very purple. I'm going to replant and change some things, and of course, the weather is reasonably settled here now, so they can go outside shortly after getting a couple of sets of true leaves. I had several other varieties that had some of this leaf drying issue, but KP had it much worse than any others. I *think* that maybe the issue was that I under-watered them. (?) Glad you sent extra seeds, Marsha!
-GG
Oh no! Purple can be from too cold too. Sorry to hear this, thank you for the courage to report this.
Old May 7, 2018   #883
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I don't think the purple was from cool temps. I start these in the den with minimum night temp of about 66 and daytime under lights at 75. I've got one that may survive -- maybe with a lot of TLC. It has OK roots and small new growth at the top.

I also replanted this AM. Two seeds in DE and two in a 50/50 (by volume) mixture of DE + Metromix. Watered in with "Schultz Water" @7 drops/quart. I'll definitely repot these much earlier to 3-1/2" pots. I've already run a small experiment with Ultrasorb DE and the results are impressive. The amount of water that stuff can hold is incredible, but still with amazing porosity. And if that weren't enough, the stuff is really inexpensive. Thanks, RayR!

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2018   #884
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

From Pam Sue in Oregon
GG, the KARMA pink will be a large and hungry plant. Water and fertilize well from the start
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5F61B5E8-B4A2-449F-8324-EA7DDCA7D41D.jpg (356.2 KB, 81 views)
Old May 7, 2018   #885
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

A few days ago, I noticed that my KARMA Pink had flowers on it. I had just started to harden all my plants off, so I had to wait to plant them in their containers.

This morning, one of the flowers fully opened (and a second is just about to open). I decided to accelerate the process and make the final transplant today.

All the babies are in their 'forever homes' - yay! I'll post a picture after they recover from the arduous move.

Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote