Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old July 25, 2008   #1
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Default Green Apple or Italian White?

Several people were kind enough to send me Eggplant seed last year. What I thought was going to be Italian White has turned out to be what I believe is Green Apple. I'm not sure if someone got their seeds mixed up or if I got my wires crossed. Does anyone remember sending me seeds for Green Apple?

By the way, I'm not complaining. My Green Apple plants, (if that is indeed what they are), are the most productive things I've ever seen. I am growing 3 other varieties, (2 plants of each), and the Green Apple is outproducing all the other 3 varieties combined.

Anyone here have any experience with Green Apple. Does that sound typical?

Last edited by Fert1; July 29, 2008 at 11:25 PM. Reason: With info. new title fits content better
Fert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2008   #2
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Anyone? Anyone? Beuler?
Old July 29, 2008   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Holly, do you mean Apple Green? That one is round/oval in shape and about the color of a Granny Smith apple. I have not grown Italian White but have seen it in person at the farm stand. It's not white. It's a pale green color, the same shape as Apple Green. Go to www.seedsofchange.com and look at their photo of Italian White and see what you think. Theirs appears pretty green too. I think not quite as bright as Apple Green, but very similar. I think you probably do have Italian White, the name is just kind of misleading.
Old July 29, 2008   #4
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Holly...I think I sent you seeds, but not sure...Italian white is greenish, and always produces threefold what other egpants produce...I wasn't sure if it just liked dry , northern climates or not...My original seeds were from Seeds of change...I have very old Apple green seeds also, but don't think I sent you any of those, as they have done poorly when compared to Italian White ....
In summary , in 3 years I have never had a white eggplant from Italian White, but many light green ones.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2008   #5
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Ah, so I really do have Italian White after all. Cool! I went online and tried to find a photo of Italian White, and I could not, but I did find a description that said it was white and the normal eggplant shape, (pear-like). So I didn't think it fit the description. Yes, it looks very much like the photos on Seeds of Change, only more like the darker green one than the paler one. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Boy, do those little rascals produce!!!! I'm giving away eggplant fruit right and left, and I've found more takers than I would have expected. Some co-workers almost got into a fight over some eggplants I brought into the office last week. Sheesh! Fighting over eggplants! Luckily, I have lots to go around. I grilled up a bunch this evening on the grill. Yum!

Anyone looking for a really productive variety, may want to give Italian White a try then. The fruits are fairly small, but you get them in vast quantities.

Jeanne, thanks for the seeds! This one is a winner! It likes the hot, humid south as much it does the North it would seem.