Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old February 15, 2013   #31
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
Saltwater Farms owner is a member here, and his fish/kelp and kelp alone is as good as it gets. I think it's the best on the market.
It's all I will use on my seedlings and for foliar feeding throughout the growing season. It's a little on the expensive side, but their products are actually economical because they're very concentrated, compared to most others.

I like Neptune's Harvest too, but the results aren't as dramatic as they are when I use Seastart-PGR to start my plants. Another plus is that it doesn't entice my three cats into hunting down and digging into the source of fish-scented trays full of seedlings... been there, done that.
http://saltwaterseaweed.com/store/

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2013   #32
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Guess it's time for me to go for a walk on the beach. We're having 60 mph gusts, with 30-40 sustained. There will be lots and lots of kelp on the beach tomorrow.

I have an old blender just for disgusting gardening stuff. We use the crab shells to make stock for soup and chowder, then I'm thinking that I might try some of the softer shells, just to see. My neighbor gives me his salmon and steelhead bodies. I'm experimenting with it all this summer. I do have some Neptune's Harvest, too, which I use for potting up seedlings. Worked fine last year.

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2013   #33
Wayne C
Tomatovillian™

Default Too obvious to see the obvious...

Looks over at Mischka and does the V8 slap myself in the forehead thing. Now I KNOW why all the neighborhood cats keep diggin in my raised beds!!! SOmehow it never occurred to me that it might be the neptunes "Fish Juice"... Still, like it better than anything I've tried so far. Will definately look into your recommendation next year and do a comparison. (Growing and cat attractant) Sigh.
CATS + FISH... who'd have figured there was a connection? Not me apparently.
Wayne C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2013   #34
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne C View Post
Looks over at Mischka and does the V8 slap myself in the forehead thing. Now I KNOW why all the neighborhood cats keep diggin in my raised beds!!! SOmehow it never occurred to me that it might be the neptunes "Fish Juice"... Still, like it better than anything I've tried so far. Will definately look into your recommendation next year and do a comparison. (Growing and cat attractant) Sigh.
CATS + FISH... who'd have figured there was a connection? Not me apparently.
I think they're digging in your raised beds because they think it's a big litter box.
Never had any problem myself attracting cats or anything else using fish hydrolysate.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2013   #35
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
the seaweed emulsion is good but the fish and seaweed is far better as a balanced fertilizer. it's all i use other than compost. this year i'm starting to use a top dressing 1 time of dehydrated chicken manure on alliums and may experiment with it on other things but nh f&sw emulsion is all i've used for many years.

tom
Tom, I think you will like the results from using the chicken as a top dressing. I use it when I can find it. It doesn't take a lot to do a lot. It really perks up tomatoes and peppers and seems to stimulate fruit set later in the season when the heat makes it tougher. I have found it is best to water it in well immediately after applying it for the best results. It is very easy to use with the few container plants I have each year and nothing else seems to give them that mid season boost like the chicken.

Years ago I had knew someone with a large chicken house and I used a whole pickup truck of chicken manure in my garden and actually had the most productive garden I have ever had. I tried to repeat that a couple of years later but didn't have time to unload the chicken before dark so I left it in the truck til morning. It rained heavily after dark. OH! The smell! The neighbors were ready to string me up and I don't blame them. That ended my use of chicken manure in large quantities but I still like to use the bagged stuff for a top dressing.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2013   #36
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

thanks for the mid season fertilization info bill. it sounds like this will be a nice side dressing once or twice for some crops but not the alliums, they'll get it once early on and no more. good to know to water it in so i guess i'll sprinkle some at the base of plants when i'm going to water things.

i bought a bag of it and it is in the basement. i cut off the top of the bag and it does smell pretty bad considering it is dehydrated. i folded over the open top on the bag and put the whole thing into a 5 gallon pail and put a lid on it, not tight just covered it. there isn't the slightest smell above the pail but i sure wouldn't want to get it wet! chicken manure is really brutal, i remember where there was a chicken farm back in the early 70's and man oh man it reeked driving past it! cow manure even strong isn't all that bad to me but chicken and pig is wicked bad.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2013   #37
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
It's all I will use on my seedlings and for foliar feeding throughout the growing season. It's a little on the expensive side, but their products are actually economical because they're very concentrated, compared to most others.

I like Neptune's Harvest too, but the results aren't as dramatic as they are when I use Seastart-PGR to start my plants. Another plus is that it doesn't entice my three cats into hunting down and digging into the source of fish-scented trays full of seedlings... been there, done that.
http://saltwaterseaweed.com/store/
Mischa do you use Seastart-PGR on your tomatoes from seedlings till the season is over?
Because I was under the impression that Seastart-PGR was for starting plants then you changed to another formula.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2013   #38
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Seastart is fortified with additional vitamins (B1, B2, B5, B6, Vitamin C, Folic Acid, Biotin and Pantothenic Acid), other than that it is the same as Seacom-PGR I believe.
There's nothing in the description of Seastart that is only intended for starting plants, it's really a personal preference since some people may see a benefit of supplementing additional vitamins in their growing practices and some may not.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote