Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 23, 2006   #1
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Default How small can the plants be?

I've had pretty good luck setting out fairly small tomato plants as long as they're hardened off properly beforehand. Is that true for peppers though?

The reason I ask is that most of the pepper plants I set out this past weekend have died. I'm trying to figure out if they were just too small, too dry or what. The melon and cucumber plants I set out at the same time are doing quite fine.
Old May 23, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: How small can the plants be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fert1
I've had pretty good luck setting out fairly small tomato plants as long as they're hardened off properly beforehand. Is that true for peppers though?
I don't see why not -- I've even direct sowed peppers many a time. Several I planted this year were smaller than I would have liked (some three inches or so) and they did just fine and are now producing peppers.

Did you have temps up into the 90's when you planted out? If so, that would have been stressful on the little plants. I don't like to plant *anything* in the garden, whether it be veg or ornamental when it's that hot, as the plants just tend to transpire faster than what the developing root system can easily keep up with while it's getting settled in. Just a guess.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote