Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old May 13, 2017   #16
ScreminFlea
Tomatovillian™

Default Kudzu compost

Interestingly, I'm reading a book now about how to grow world record tomatoes. And Charles Wilbur, who holds a number of Guiness records for growing veggies, particularly tomatoes, uses kudzu in his compost mix. It can't be all bad.

ScreminFlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #17
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Here is the guy that put Kudzu on the map with this book. Good information on the subject and how to do it.

ami
A very good read too. He made me wish that I had some Kudzu around. It sounds like great stuff for the garden.
Old May 13, 2017   #18
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

If you can't find kudzu locally, you might want to grow your own. Here's some advice:

http://www.walterreeves.com/how-to-a...to-grow-kudzu/

"DECIDING WHEN TO PLANT: Kudzu should always be planted at night. If kudzu is planted during daylight hours, angry neighbors might see you ...

"SELECTING THE PROPER FERTILIZER: The best fertilizer I have discovered for kudzu is 40 weight non-detergent motor oil. Kudzu actually doesn’t need anything to help it grow, but the motor oil ... cuts down on friction and lessens the danger of fire when the kudzu really starts to move"

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #19
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad you found another use for kudzu, Scott.

For all of y'all that don't have it, trust me, you don't want it! There's a reason it's nickname is the vine that ate the south! Once it's there it's almost impossible to get rid of and it literally takes over! A good way to "make lemonade with lemons".
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #20
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Too funny dm!!

Look at that picture!!!! omg!!

I'll be looking around for it. So far I've only seen it on the side of the highway.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

They say it is in Travis county next to my county and maybe even in my county I have no idea where but I dont want it on my place.
Yet one more transplant disaster from Asia.
The back side of my property is getting covered in Chinaberry trees.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #22
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I composted some of it a couple years ago. I needed some greens for compost pile and there were no grass clippings to be had, very hot and dry so no grass to mow. My daughter lives way out in the country and is surrounded by kudzu. I collected a truck load, removed all seed pods and chopped it up. Pile heated up quickly and was finished in just a few weeks.

It was good compost but not worth the effort. My maters didn't grow like Wilbur's surprise surprise lol. Of course I didn't expect them to. I seriously doubt his giant plants are a result of the kudzu. Just my opinion
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #23
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Control methods for Chinaberry, aka Melia azedarach

https://www.invasive.org/library/FLF...hinaberry.html

"Control Methods
  • Basal bark application with 15% to 30% triclopyr ester; treat 1-2 feet of trunk for larger trees*
  • Fell trees over 6" in DBH (diameter at breast height) and treat stumps with up to 30% triclopyr ester (apply within 5 minutes of cutting)*
  • Hand pick the berries and dispose in plastic bags
*Perform herbicide applications before fruit onset to avoid another generation of plants.
Triclopyr product, such as Brush-B-Gon®, is available in local garden and hardware stores."

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Control methods for Chinaberry, aka Melia azedarach

https://www.invasive.org/library/FLF...hinaberry.html

"Control Methods
  • Basal bark application with 15% to 30% triclopyr ester; treat 1-2 feet of trunk for larger trees*
  • Fell trees over 6" in DBH (diameter at breast height) and treat stumps with up to 30% triclopyr ester (apply within 5 minutes of cutting)*
  • Hand pick the berries and dispose in plastic bags
*Perform herbicide applications before fruit onset to avoid another generation of plants.
Triclopyr product, such as Brush-B-Gon®, is available in local garden and hardware stores."
Nope it is a controlled forest I am going to grow and harvest some day for the wood.
The heart wood is beautiful and kin to the mahogany.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017   #25
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Here is the guy that put Kudzu on the map with this book. Good information on the subject and how to do it.

ami
I read that book years ago. I was wondering how much his Kudzu compost contributed to his amazing success. Alfalfa has similar qualities and is easily available everywhere in various forms. It might make an interesting substitute for those not in Kudzu lands.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote