Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old July 30, 2017   #406
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Salt, you get me listening to music every time you post that link, lol.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017   #407
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Here. Have an antidote. https://youtu.be/e3W6yf6c-FA

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Hours Ago   #408
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm changing the plan this year. I just sprayed my entire garden with roundup to kill off the emerging weeds and grass. I did not like doing that at all, but if it is any environmental offset, I am going to try growing without black plastic mulch this year. It's too much backbreaking work to lay it by hand, plus my weeds just grow up over it, where I bury the edges. I am going to try growing mostly flowers this year. Many of them will be from seed, at least that is the plan, and seeds would have no chance out there on their own.

It was satisfying to kill the horse weed that has plagued me for years. The weeds in my rows are actually not bad, because the plastic has been down for years. I have a lot of old carpet I am going to lay as weed barrier as well. It seems to work a lot better than the real stuff, which lets seeds sprout on top and grow through it.
Cole_Robbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Hours Ago   #409
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Well man, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Any idea how long you should wait for the Round Up to fizzle away? Dont know if you have considered it, but after your flowers pop up, put down a pre-emergent to control future weeds?
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Hours Ago   #410
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My cousin, who used to work for Monsanto, says that as soon as the stuff dries away, you are pretty much good, a matter of hours perhaps. I would never follow that advice, personally, but he is the one with the education in that matter. I have rain forecast all week, which should be good enough for me, to be assured it has washed away.
Cole_Robbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Hours Ago   #411
nbardo
Tomatovillian™

Glyphosate (roundup) binds very strongly to organic matter so it doesnt leech out of soil much. It will stay there until it is broken down by soil microbes. My understanding is that its essentially harmless unless applied to leaves, which is why once it dries or is in the soil its harmless. The main risk with it is overspray and blowing in the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nbardo is offline   Reply With Quote