Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18, 2017   #1
Marek Kvapil
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Czech Republic
Posts: 20
Default Sources of wild tomato seeds in EU

As most of the tomato genetic diversity still lies in so called "wild tomato" species, I would like to extend my collection to all 13 existing tomato species. The species Solanum Lycopersicum and Solanum Pimpinellifolium are relatively easily available but it seems much more challengening to gain seeds of another tomato species from other sources than national genebanks which I would like to avoid because receiving seeds from them is conditioned by signing an agreement which restricts the future use of the genetic material.

If you know of any non-genebank source of the wild tomato seeds, please put the link into the comments. As I live and garden in the Czech Republic I prefer the seed sources inside the European Union.

Thanks for your tips:-)


marek

Last edited by Marek Kvapil; April 19, 2017 at 12:31 PM.
Marek Kvapil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017   #2
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™
 
sjamesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 753
Default

Here's a German company that has some: https://www.magicgardenseeds.com/Tom...-Seeds-T.181-/ I haven't ordered from them, and can't vouch for them.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #3
Marek Kvapil
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Czech Republic
Posts: 20
Default

Thanks, Steve, for the link. It seems they only offer the Solanum Pimpinellifolium which is quite easily available from other sources. I am more interested in other wild tomato species like Solanum Habrochaites, Solanum Pennellii (http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/v46...l/ng.3046.html), Solanum Peruvianum, Solanum cheesmaniae, Solanum Neorickii and all the species characterized for example in the study: Morphological Characterization and Relationships of Wild Tomatoes: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/d9a...acc2967621.pdf
Marek Kvapil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #4
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Finland, EU
Posts: 2,076
Default

You don't like to purchase from sources outside the EU, but just in case, do check out Trade Winds Fruit..
Theirs is the largest assortment of Solanum species I've seen on-line. Of course not all Solanums are tomatoes, but you will be able to check and see what's there.
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/searc...olanum&Search=

Last edited by NarnianGarden; April 20, 2017 at 02:55 AM.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #5
Marek Kvapil
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Czech Republic
Posts: 20
Default

Thanks, NarnianGarden, for the link.

I went through all their tomatoes and apart from Solanum Pimpinellifolium they have:

1) Solanum Cheesmaniae which is possibly crossed with common tomato.
2) Solanum lycopersicon humboldtii which is subspecies of common tomato not a separate species.

I will try to order the seeds and I wonder if they will send it to Czech Republic.
Marek Kvapil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #6
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,044
Default

I know you prefer sources in Europe,but there are at least two persons I know of who are here at Tville who work with landraces who might have something that interests you.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #7
Marek Kvapil
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Czech Republic
Posts: 20
Default

Isn´t one of them Joseph Lofthouse? I think he doesn´t send his seeds to EU, does he?
Marek Kvapil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #8
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek Kvapil View Post
Isn´t one of them Joseph Lofthouse? I think he doesn´t send his seeds to EU, does he?
Yes,Joseph is just one for I thought of several more.

You said you needed to add them to your collection, but never said why, and that's important in terms of others I might suggest to you.

Do you intend to breed tomatoes and want some of the species since some of them have the genes for tolerance to some diseases?

I have grown several of thes pecies, Cheesmanii, both major and minor variants are two,along with the pimps,as many do, but never saved seeds from any of those.

Sending seeds to you from the US?I don't see the problem since I send seeds to many in Europe,one has to use what's called a Global Forever stamp.The only countries where problems can appear are getting seeds into the Netherlands,since there are many commercial tomato breeding companies there,and also to Australia,since they are trying to control what's called the Potato Tuber Spindle Viroid,which also affects the tomatoes.

Unfortunately I recently read that that viroid has appeared in Canada and the US as well

https://www.google.com/search?q=pota...&bih=788&dpr=1

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #9
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™
 
MrBig46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Czech republic
Posts: 1,577
Default

Do not send.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #10
Marek Kvapil
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Czech Republic
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Yes,Joseph is just one for I thought of several more.

You said you needed to add them to your collection, but never said why, and that's important in terms of others I might suggest to you.

Do you intend to breed tomatoes and want some of the species since some of them have the genes for tolerance to some diseases?

I have grown several of thes pecies, Cheesmanii, both major and minor variants are two,along with the pimps,as many do, but never saved seeds from any of those.

Sending seeds to you from the US?I don't see the problem since I send seeds to many in Europe,one has to use what's called a Global Forever stamp.The only countries where problems can appear are getting seeds into the Netherlands,since there are many commercial tomato breeding companies there,and also to Australia,since they are trying to control what's called the Potato Tuber Spindle Viroid,which also affects the tomatoes.

Unfortunately I recently read that that viroid has appeared in Canada and the US as well

https://www.google.com/search?q=pota...&bih=788&dpr=1

Carolyn
Yes, one of the reasons why I want to add more wild tomatoes to my collection is I want to use them for breeding more late blight and early blight resistance into tomatoes. But there are other reasons: I want to know them, experience them growing and explore the genetic diversity of tomatoes. I am curious about tomatoes and I like discovering new things. I believe genetic diversity of wild tomatoes is hiding some treasures which still needs to be extracted:-).

Regarding sending seeds to EU: When I was ordering some czechoslovakian heirloom varieties from USDA, ARS, Plant Genetic Resources Unit I had to arrange special permission called Letter of Authority. Only then they were willing to send me the seeds. Nevertheless Central Institute for Supervising and Testing in Agriculture here in my country will test the plants grown from received seeds and they can tell me to destroy the plants if anything is wrong with them...

Last edited by Marek Kvapil; April 21, 2017 at 05:21 AM.
Marek Kvapil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #11
DanishGardener
Tomatovillian™
 
DanishGardener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 234
Default

http://www.rareplants.de/shop/default.asp?
^These have a few (hirsutum, peruvianum and pimpinellifolium) i have ordered from them myself a couple of times. They will ship to the Czech Republic.
They also have lots of other rare, interesting seeds.

Last edited by DanishGardener; April 21, 2017 at 06:09 AM.
DanishGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #12
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™
 
MrBig46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Czech republic
Posts: 1,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek Kvapil View Post
Yes, one of the reasons why I want to add more wild tomatoes to my collection is I want to use them for breeding more late blight and early blight resistance into tomatoes. But there are other reasons: I want to know them, experience them growing and explore the genetic diversity of tomatoes. I am curious about tomatoes and I like discovering new things. I believe genetic diversity of wild tomatoes is hiding some treasures which still needs to be extracted:-).

Regarding sending seeds to EU: When I was ordering some czechoslovakian heirloom varieties from USDA, ARS, Plant Genetic Resources Unit I had to arrange special permission called Letter of Authority. Only then they were willing to send me the seeds. Nevertheless Central Institute for Supervising and Testing in Agriculture here in my country will test the plants grown from received seeds and they can tell me to destroy the plants if anything is wrong with them...
You forgot to mention that you are trading with seeds of rarer varieties. Not directly, but only a participant can get seed (eg Latah) only when attending your training (very expensive). Nobody knows anything about your research.
Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; April 21, 2017 at 06:34 AM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #13
Marek Kvapil
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Czech Republic
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
You forgot to mention that you are trading with seeds of rarer varieties. Not directly, but only a participant can get seed (eg Latah) only when attending your training (very expensive). Nobody knows anything about your research.
Vladimír
Yes, you are right I am trading with seeds. I am open about it. If you look at my profile you can read there:

"OccupationGardener, seed producer and merchant. Catalogue of my open-pollinated seeds: www.permaseminka.cz"

I am directly selling open-pollinated seeds in small amounts to czech and slovak gardeners. I try to offer them organically grown seeds of varieties that are not easily accessible in my country and that are suitable for organic gardening. You do not have to attend my training to get my seeds including the seeds of Latah. You can buy it directly on my e-shop.

I am already selling some seeds of pimpinellifolium species. But I think apart from pimpinellifolium and galapagense the wild tomato species are more suitable for breeding purposes than for direct selling and gardening. But it is true I might be selling them in the future if I find them suitable for organic growing in the conditions of Czec Republic.

Is there anything wrong about it?

Last edited by Marek Kvapil; April 21, 2017 at 10:24 AM.
Marek Kvapil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #14
Marek Kvapil
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Czech Republic
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishGardener View Post
http://www.rareplants.de/shop/default.asp?
^These have a few (hirsutum, peruvianum and pimpinellifolium) i have ordered from them myself a couple of times. They will ship to the Czech Republic.
They also have lots of other rare, interesting seeds.
Thank you so much for the link! I ordered Lycopersicon hirsutum from them. But Lycopersicon Peruvianum is out of stock
Marek Kvapil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #15
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™
 
MrBig46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Czech republic
Posts: 1,577
Default

Tania, I think of you. Good luck!
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:22 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★