Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 9, 2016   #481
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn it's a wonderful book and there's a copy sitting out both downstairs and up. Everyone picks it up and remarks how gorgeous and detailed it is. Your work is very much appreciated.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2016   #482
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

I got mine yesterday. Finished reading it cover to cover today. This should be every aspiring tomato gardeners primer.
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2016   #483
NoahYates
Tomatovillian™

I am going to have to pick up a copy! Maybe Craig's book as well.
NoahYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2016   #484
timbucktwo
Tomatovillian™

I've used Carolyn's book as my #1 tomato reference since buying it years ago, and of the many important things learned from it is that potato leaf and rugose-leaf varieties have had the least problems and best production in my particular garden, so my selection now is almost entirely of those types.

Olena Ukrainian and Brandywine OTV are two that I've grown & are favorites that I learned of from this book, both will be grown this year, of course.

Brandywine, Yellow (Platfoot Strain), Martino's Roma, and Gogosha are varieties I also learned of from the book that I will be trying this year that are in the PL & rugose-leaf categories.

Carolyn has also personally recommended to me other PL varieties in the past that she likes (KBX, Lithuanian, & Moravsky Div), that will also be planted this year, and consider it fortunate that she has shared her experience and wealth of information here and elsewhere with all of us tomato enthusiasts.
timbucktwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #485
alexita
Tomatovillian™

I love Carolyn's book. I've had my copy around ten years and I still read through it every once-in-a-while and use it as a reference regularly. It says a lot that it's usually easier to check the book for a cultivar (and have instant access to its yield, flavor profile, and a photo of the leaves and fruit, inside and out) than Google it. And every time I look at the picture of the cut Reif Red Heart, I droooool.
alexita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2016   #486
Hermanson
Tomatovillian™

Default Carolyn's book

I have two books that are important reference books to me: Carolyn's book and the King James Bible. I read the King James Bible more, but Carolyn's book is much smaller, so it is easier to memorize all the valuable information.

Most of the heirloom tomatoes I grow are because Carolyn sent me seeds or recommended them in her book. This year, we finally tried one of her favorites, German Red Strawberry. It is outstanding.

I thank God for King James and the truths that are contained in his excellent translation of the the Bible. And I thank God for Carolyn and her book, that helped me learn the truth about heirloom tomatoes.
Hermanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2016   #487
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

just ordered this book, hope it comes with pictures.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2016   #488
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

the book just arrived and I am excited to behold. love the layout, lovely pictures, and design.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2016   #489
pipefitter508
Tomatovillian™

I just ordered the book also
Bob
pipefitter508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2016   #490
BettaPonic
Tomatovillian™

I loved the book and especially loved the mention of propogating Tomatoes from cuttings.
BettaPonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2017   #491
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

Now I'm getting curious, since the price has gone down. It was down to a handful of sellers, all selling used, at prices approaching $100. Now amazon has 11 sellers selling it new, as low as $32.80, and 46 selling used, as low as $8 range.
I'm just wondering if some supply of the books was found and released by a distributor or something, since it seems weird.

Another issue that amazon should probably investigate that I'm seeing is some of those sellers. The top price is $1872.21 I click on the seller, and they happen to have a bunch of books at that odd and extreme price listed, with arrival estimate that works out to 1-3 weeks. Look at their storefront, they actually list 1,554,256 titles. I'm figuring they don't actually have the vast majority of those, and when they get lucky and someone clicks buy, they buy it elsewhere and ship to the customer with tremendous profit.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2017   #492
Brianmch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrs View Post
Another issue that amazon should probably investigate that I'm seeing is some of those sellers. The top price is $1872.21 I click on the seller, and they happen to have a bunch of books at that odd and extreme price listed, with arrival estimate that works out to 1-3 weeks. Look at their storefront, they actually list 1,554,256 titles. I'm figuring they don't actually have the vast majority of those, and when they get lucky and someone clicks buy, they buy it elsewhere and ship to the customer with tremendous profit.
The seller would only make a tremendous profit if the buyer just so happens to have $1,872.21 they feel like spending for a non-mandatory book and doesn't mind paying that amount instead of the $8 they can buy it for elsewhere. Otherwise, this is a non-issue.
Brianmch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2017   #493
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

As for me, I have two pristine copies left, I used to take copies to autograph when I went here and there, some already had copies and wanted just the autograph,some bought copies from me that I got from Workman Press and I was going to wait until the price hit $1000 again, cash out and put the money in my dark bittersweet chocolate budget.

Carolyn
Old January 17, 2017   #494
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianmch View Post
The seller would only make a tremendous profit if the buyer just so happens to have $1,872.21 they feel like spending for a non-mandatory book and doesn't mind paying that amount instead of the $8 they can buy it for elsewhere. Otherwise, this is a non-issue.
People do once in a while, click the wrong item, buying from the wrong seller. It may be rare, but with one and a half million listings, they could be getting a couple a day. Then they have a 10% restocking fee, so they are guaranteed at least $187.22 per order.

I was actually more curious about where all the new copies came from that are sold by multiple sellers at much more reasonable rates. At one point, the lowest price on amazon was over $1000, it's still out of print, somewhere some cases of them must have been found.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2017   #495
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrs View Post
People do once in a while, click the wrong item, buying from the wrong seller. It may be rare, but with one and a half million listings, they could be getting a couple a day. Then they have a 10% restocking fee, so they are guaranteed at least $187.22 per order.

I was actually more curious about where all the new copies came from that are sold by multiple sellers at much more reasonable rates. At one point, the lowest price on amazon was over $1000, it's still out of print, somewhere some cases of them must have been found.
The last new copies that I knew about was when Linda Sapp at TGS found a box of new ones that she had she didn't know she had and made an online offer fo rthem, and offered them for the original price. She probably got them directly from Workman,who sold them at a discount when bulk orders were placed, I did the same and had a box of them in the trunk of my car,so maybe she made a few$$$, but didn't jack up the price.

She was sold out in just a few days.

Carolyn