Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 9, 2006   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Whiskey barrels and hay

Does any one know the capacity in gallons of a half whiskey barrel? I'm guessing 20 gallons.

Also, when I've used them in the past I always fill the bottom half with hay as a filler. I think it is ok as a growing medium considering that the other soilless mix on top sifts down into it. I've even heard of people growing tomatoes in bales of hay, though I've never seen it. I think the hay helps aereation, is easy on roots, and helps keep the bottom drain holes from clogging.

I really like whiskey barrels for trying to get the earliest tomatoes, since they warm up faster. They really aren't good for late season crops, nor is any container in my opinion. Heat and watering become serious issues then. I get my first crop in barrels, then they play out with the heat, but by then the tomatoes in the raised beds are in full production. I usually plant only the earliest varieties in barrels.

Has anyone ever grown tomatoes in a bale of hay?

Anyone else used this method of hay as a filler in whiskey barrels? Any pros and cons to offer?

Don