Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 30, 2007   #1
Puregoodtomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Cool Weather Veggies

I planted my cool weather crops (seeded lettuce, spinach, radish, swiss chard, beets, kohlrabi, and then transplanted cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli). The temperature has been great, but will be taking a dip for night time lows into the mid 20's for a few nights.

I plan to use a floating row cover but will that even help with the temps falling that low???
Old March 30, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Most of those crops, if they are established, are not bothered by that degree of cold.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2007   #3
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Puregood tomatoes.....I have 2 flats of broccoli, kale and cabbage in a cold frame....The night before last I forgot to bring them in and the temp was 21 in the morning...They are in a coldframe and so had a few degrees protection, but there was really heavy ice on the top of the cold frame...They are all fine, they had been out for a few weeks already. If you can keep frost from settling on the leaves with any type of a cover, you will be amazed at how tough cole crops are...
I did feel a little guilty and put them in the garage last night...I know better than to put them in the ground yet in my area, but it sure is tempting.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2007   #4
mathfed
Tomatovillian™

I am also in the Midwest. Were you able to work the soil at all before you put in your transplants? I have a bunch of kohlrabi transplants I need to get in the ground, but I think the soil is still too wet to work. Should I just dig small holes and plant them anyways? Is that how you did your transplants? I wanted to till in some compost manure before planting, but I need to get the kohlrabis in as soon as I can.
mathfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2007   #5
Puregoodtomatoes
Tomatovillian™

The transplants were put in the garden a half a week ago only, but they are about 6 weeks old transplants. So they aren't very established outdoors.
I may try to cut out bottems of milk jugs and stick them over the transplants then put the f r cover over that before the cooler weather comes. We'll see what happens!!!

mathfed, Last fall we tilled in manure and leaves, the soil is the best it has ever been (crumbly and fluffy). All we did this year was dig small holes. Be careful NOT to walk on your garden, till, or do much if your soil is too wet. I know from the experience it leads to soil compaction, that we are just getting fixed. If you need to till yet, maybe dunk your transplants in small holes close to the edge of the garden so you won't run into problems later when you go to prepare your soil.