Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old December 6, 2008   #1
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Default Fall/Winter Greens Z3A

I still have a few greens- spinach, Japanese radish leaf, mizuna and komatsuna- growing in my unheated greenhouse. It certainly has been a relatively mild fall/winter around here.
Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dec062008.jpg (97.6 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by dokutaaguriin; December 6, 2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: add picture
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2008   #2
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

A "few?" Looks like a pretty substantial crop! Good for you! Is the stuff in the middle, front of the photo mizuna?

Are your barrels and milk jugs for holding heat? I envy you your greenhouse. I debate getting one, mainly because the climate here is pretty mild to start with and the month or so of really cold weather that forces me to take a little time off from gardening is perhaps not a bad thing. Where you are I would not hesitate for a second to get one if at all possible.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2008   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jeff-my fall greens are in full swing. Here is a photo of some greens today-the one on the left is barba di frati, and the one on the right is a cicorria. The other photo is mache. The mache is outside the greenhouse, and the barba di frati and cicorria are in the greenhouse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lettuce (Small).JPG (62.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg mache (Small).JPG (54.2 KB, 10 views)
Old December 6, 2008   #4
natural
Tomatovillian™

Jeff,

Great looking greens! Glad you still have them.

Hey Michael,

Where did you get the seed for the barba di frati? I usually get my italian greens from SeedsFromItaly when they have it, but Bill cannot always get it.

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2008   #5
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Bill-I did get the barba from Seeds from Italy-I probably got the seed last year, or possibly the year before. As you know, they put a lot of seed in the Franchi packages, so I only have to buy it every 3-4 years. I love it. When it gets big and tough, we saute it with oil and garlic.
Old December 7, 2008   #6
natural
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Michael.

Yes, Franchi does put alot of seed in the packs. One pack of the Bionda de Taglio chard last a few years. I just ran out. Now I do not see it listed as available. Too bad. This is the best chard I have ever grown. It was like a "butter lettuce" version of chard. Incredible!
Old December 7, 2008   #7
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth_10 View Post
A "few?" Looks like a pretty substantial crop! Good for you! Is the stuff in the middle, front of the photo mizuna?

Are your barrels and milk jugs for holding heat? I envy you your greenhouse. I debate getting one, mainly because the climate here is pretty mild to start with and the month or so of really cold weather that forces me to take a little time off from gardening is perhaps not a bad thing. Where you are I would not hesitate for a second to get one if at all possible.
Hi Ruth,
In the picture, going from left to right- komatsuna, mizuna and daikon leaf radish. The mizuna is a little leggy because it was behind the komatsuna.
The rain barrels and jugs are my heat sinks. A week ago I thought the daytime temps and cloudy weather would not heat up the greenhouse enough so I drained the rain barrels. I guess I jumped the gun a bit but it is better than having the rain barrels freeze solid and crack.
I understand the need to take a little time off from gardening. Every night I must go out and cover up with the vegies with some Remay fabric (for extra insulation) and take it off in the morning. It does get a little tedious after awhile.

Jeff
Old December 7, 2008   #8
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

HI Michael,
Thanks for sharing your photos. I did not plant any mache this year. Last year I did and we found it to be a tasty and extremely tough little leafy green.
I think I will try and find some of the Italian chard that you and Bill have suggested.
Jeff
Old December 7, 2008   #9
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I emailed Bill from Seeds from Italy to ask if he is going to get that chard again. Will post when I hear from him.
Old December 7, 2008   #10
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jeff-see my posting a few minutes ago. Sorry if we hijacked your thread. Mache might even grow in your unheated greenhouse in the winter. I grow mine outside, and it was 33 degrees this morning and its fine.
Old December 7, 2008   #11
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Michael,
We have something in common today...Anchorage temp this morning was 32 degrees. We are having a slight heat wave/melt but I won't be out planting greens any time soon.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2008   #12
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Sue-heat wave for you and cold wave for me!

Bill responded to my email. Its still there. The name is Chard Bietola da Coste Bionda de Lione. You can get it by going to growitalian.com

Old December 7, 2008   #13
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Hi Michael,
It seems the only limiting factor around here is when the ground freezes solid!
Jeff
Old December 7, 2008   #14
natural
Tomatovillian™

Hi Michael and Jeff,

I have found that Mache will survive hard freezes with no problem. You can even harvest it frozen and it will be fine! Has anyone grown Minutina or Sylvetta or Claytonia? Those are also extremely cold tolerant.

I agree that managing the reemay rowcovers every day gets old. Especially if you are covering outdoor beds. It seems that we always need to apply the covers as a cold front is approaching, thus it is always very windy. Not much fun at all!
Old December 10, 2008   #15
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

We had a freeze last night-down to 28F. Mache is fine.