Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old January 20, 2021   #1
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Default "First" tomatoes for 2021

Black From Tula !

Been a rough start! Had deluge of rain in Nov. and wiped out all the peppers and tomatoes I had growing. Very similar flood to Miscowpea! Was terrible situation all around and had to start over. These are my first ripe tomatoes and very glad to get them. They are the blackest tomato I grow. Very strong fruit set, very lush and green foliage and very little if any pest problems. You MUST try them if you haven't all ready.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210120_122256_2.jpg (88.6 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210120_122253_4.jpg (137.3 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210120_122241_7.jpg (83.8 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210120_122235_6.jpg (87.8 KB, 249 views)
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2021   #2
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

They look wonderful Douglas! Hope your year continues to be productive!
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2021   #3
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful tomatoes! And I bet they are as tasty as they look.

My first tomatoes for this year were four cherry tomatoes that looked ripe yesterday. They were hiding under micro Red Robin's dense foliage. I picked two and left two. Does that count?

This Red Robin was started from seed Oct 30.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2021   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Both of you are off to a good start! Black tomatoes do really well for me in part shade where other tomatoes don't.

How is that Red Robin? I have two growing in a pots on my windowsill with a view of the snow. . I think I started mine around late Dec. along with a few micro varieties plus 2 of Dan's experiments from 2018 or 2019. Vilma is starting to set tiny buds and roots are coming out the bottom of a 6 inch Bloem pot.

Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2021   #5
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Both of you are off to a good start! Black tomatoes do really well for me in part shade where other tomatoes don't.

How is that Red Robin? I have two growing in a pots on my windowsill with a view of the snow. . I think I started mine around late Dec. along with a few micro varieties plus 2 of Dan's experiments from 2018 or 2019. Vilma is starting to set tiny buds and roots are coming out the bottom of a 6 inch Bloem pot.

Lisa
Hello, Lisa.
I grew Vilma for three years. But I wasn't very happy with the taste, so I just didn't include it in my grow-home list for this season. When exactly did you sow it? Do you grow it on the window sill or in a greenhouse? It's perfect for growing at home.

My first ripe tomatoes are expected some time in March. That is if things go well. At the moment, my toms aren't getting much daylight as the weather has been cloudy and snowy/rainy. Daylight only contributes to the total light with sometimes less than 1,000 lx.

Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2021   #6
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

I completely forgot. 2 days ago I tasted my first tomatoes of this season. A Sophie's Choice of 41g and two cherries (Nelinka) 11g in total. Not a feast, but enjoyable enough. Not very surprisingly, they were sour (grown under artificial light in Zone 6a) but they did taste like real tomatoes. I was so keen on tasting them that I completely forgot to ask my wife to take a photo of them.
Milan HP
Old March 12, 2021   #7
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

March 11, zone 6a, Czech Republic.
Varieties: Sophie's Choice, Start S F1 and Nelinka (cherry).
Total weight: 202 grams.
Taste: 4 - 5 on a 0 - 10 scale.
I had them with freshly baked bread with butter. A culinary experience.
Milan HP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sklizeň 11.3..jpg (129.2 KB, 73 views)