Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old April 15, 2010   #1
yopper
Tomatovillian™

Default candy onion plants

Where did all the candy onion plants go, every place I called was out of plants.It must be that Mrs. Obama got every body planting a garden. Bet there is even some Republicans planting a garden LOL!!! Will order earlyer next year.
YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2010   #2
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Beat you to them Yopper! I'm a Republican and have my Candys in the ground since April 1st. Ordered them in January from Dixondale.

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2010   #3
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Hi Yopper. Looks like you don't post much here! I've seen you at that other place in the allium section. Tell everyone here how you grow 6'' Candy onions! Our plants should be coming in soon, another week or two...
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2010   #4
yopper
Tomatovillian™

TOM NJ april 1st. I still had 6" of snow on the garden! You should have some woopers getting them in that early! The weather guesser is calling for snow here tomorrow night and it was 73 degrees today.As for 6 " onions it takes a lot of B.S.AND YOU HAVE TO PUT SOME ON THE GARDEN TOO!!!! After dixondale used my picture of the wheelborrow full of candy onions in their online catalog I would have thougt with their the acres and acres of onions they could have found a couple of bundles of candy for me.GUESS I'LL have to plant big daddy.
YOPPER
Old April 16, 2010   #5
korney19

Yopper, do you buy the explanation of bad weather with 5-6 leaves makes them bolt? What has your experience been? How late do you wait? (temp/weather-wise)

"Sustained temperatures of less than 45º F may result in bolting with as few as five leaves present. If the temperature falls below 50º F for two weeks or more, mature plants with 7-10 leaves will bolt. A cold, wet spring followed by a hot summer can also result in bolting."
Old April 16, 2010   #6
yopper
Tomatovillian™

KORNEY I'am not the one to ask about bolting.I plant about 450 plants every yr. and may have 2 or 3 that bolt but most yrs.nothing.I try to plant end of April- first of May when it is dry enough.My plants usually get snowed on a time or two usually the tops are still dorment and the snow dosen't seem to bother them.Some times I think it helps them!!! The old farmers in Ohio liked to plow that last spring snow they said it was just like plowing under fertilizer.I plant in a wide row 4 across 8"-10" on center so they are not stressed for growing space.And I fertilize with10-10-10 and epson salts a couple times through the growing season after they are growing good. Also keep them weeded good[don't want them weeds eating up my fertilizer] IMO the spacing and the 16hrs.of day light we have here helps more on size than any thing.This is what works for me here. If I can help in any way please ask? YOPPER
Old April 16, 2010   #7
bloosquall
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

There's another reason I like about TomNJ.

-bloo
bloosquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2010   #8
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

plants? doesn't anyone start from seed? maybe i'm the last one left?

6" onions? hey yopper uses a backhoe to dig and lift those monster onions he grows in the up. he sent me some pictures a few years ago and they were the size of a vw!

we need more posts from yopper!
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2010   #9
yopper
Tomatovillian™

TOM I think you are last one growing onions from seed! My old numb fingers can't hang on to little bitty onion seeds any more.I must admit I did start some leeks last jan.They are looking good.But pretty close together.[Dang numb fingers]
YOPPER
Old April 17, 2010   #10
korney19

I would have grown some Candy from seeds but

a) I think Tom bought up all the Candy seeds
b) Tom didn't send me any with his Prue seeds!
Old April 17, 2010   #11
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

some things i don't miss about living in the U.P. that last 12-24 inch dumping of snow usually happens right about now. we had our own brief snow shower here in the thumb today. freaky weather this week. tom, you aren't the only one left starting onions from seed. i have had mixed results over the years. i had some really nice ailsa craig, and red wing onions one year, and have had difficulty repeating those results. i have been pulling my seedlings in doors the past couple days with the lows getting in the very low 30s. the ground here is still too wet to work in.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2010   #12
yopper
Tomatovillian™

Keith their use to be a Keith from Calumet on GW was that you?
YOPPER
Old April 18, 2010   #13
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

yopper,

yup that would be me.
i moved a year and a half ago to sandusky. still got the farm up in calumet. we will be up there later in the year to check up on things.

keith
Old April 18, 2010   #14
yopper
Tomatovillian™

Keith Thats been a while back I remember we talked about growing muskmelons on plastic . Did you ever try it!!
YOPPER
Old April 18, 2010   #15
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

nope, never used the plastic. probably should have. i had a couple good years with out using anything, but i think to get more consistent results the plastic would help raise the soil temps, and keep the plants growing better. july and august are the only 2 mostly warm months there, so any season extender would help. had some luck with watermelon too, but not every year. early alaska, and creme de la creme from burpee, back when i was getting seeds from burpee did well. we would eat 3 or 4 at a time, wipe our face, sit there and burp a bit, and eat some more.

keith