Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old October 25, 2017   #16
kevrow73
Tomatovillian™

I've checked out Solanum torvum, it seems to have quite a few different names as well as your devils fig & Turkey berry it's also called Pea Eggplant. As the berries can be used in Thai green curries I'll take that as a good sign.
I've found them on sale online and I'm going to give them a try next year, thanks very much Nick.
kevrow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2017   #17
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

So you need a vigorous vegetative rootstock. Cheapest option would be to just buy some of those premium grape tomatoes and save some seeds. It will be f2 of some pretty vigurous stuff. Marmande is most certainly not a good idea. Something like Matt's wild cherry is also commonly used, since it's a vigorous plant, left unpruned it can grow into a hedge and have a stem inches thick.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2017   #18
kevrow73
Tomatovillian™

That makes sense, I'll keep some seeds from each of my F1 plants next year and when they die off I'll find out which have biggest roots and take it from there. I'll give Matt's wild Cherry a go, how about Mexican Midget? I have the seeds for those already, they are wild tomatoes as well so I presume root growth would be good as well.
kevrow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2017   #19
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

For the grafters - NE Seed is advertising free ground shipping on orders over $9.99 from Nov. 24 to Dec 4. They carry the RST-04-106 root stock seed.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote