Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 14, 2018   #1
mamaboog
Tomatovillian™

Default Inca Jewels?

After last year's horrid harvest due to disease (VF is everywhere here) and the tossing of my seed exchange packet by my children into the trash (they were cleaning and thought it was trash, thanks, guys), I think I'm going to stick to containers this year.

That being said, has anyone ever grown these?

https://www.reneesgarden.com/product...ma-inca-jewels

Or do you have any other container friendly suggestions, resistant to wilt? And I mean resistant: even my potted blueberries might've gotten it from my infected blackberries through cross contamination, and I'm just hoping this isn't the case, or else I'll scream and burn this dang state to the ground.

Thanks!
mamaboog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Check out Mountain Glory F1. It is tolerant to all 3 fusarium wilts, also both verticillum wilts. I have never grown it, but found the taste to be kind of tart. It's determinate (generally smaller) and supposedly can give up to 50-12 oz fruits per plant. YMMV.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboog View Post
After last year's horrid harvest due to disease (VF is everywhere here) and the tossing of my seed exchange packet by my children into the trash (they were cleaning and thought it was trash, thanks, guys), I think I'm going to stick to containers this year.

That being said, has anyone ever grown these?

https://www.reneesgarden.com/product...ma-inca-jewels

Or do you have any other container friendly suggestions, resistant to wilt? And I mean resistant: even my potted blueberries might've gotten it from my infected blackberries through cross contamination, and I'm just hoping this isn't the case, or else I'll scream and burn this dang state to the ground.

Thanks!
There is NO tomato variety that is totally resistant to ANY tomato diseases,the operative word being tolerance.

My brother moved from here in NYS with his family in 2005 and must live and garden somewhat near where you describe you are since he's about 20 miles north of Asheville and says he's never seen so many tomato diseases as he has down there.

And there are many many wilt diseases,not just Fusarium, with now 3 subtypes and no cross protection, and Verticillium, several subtypes and also other wilt diseases , often misdiagnosed as CMV, cucumber mosaic virus which also infect tomatoes.

Then you've also got RKN's, Root Knot Nematodes,which also can cause the wilts, which are in your area,and many more as well.

Inca Jewel's from Renee at her newest website? No, I haven't heard of that one so I Googled it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Inca...&bih=815&dpr=1

An F1 hybrid with only VFF tolerances, if I'm remembering what I just read.

Carolyn
Old March 17, 2018   #4
mamaboog
Tomatovillian™

I might try Mountain Glory - thank you, Nan.

And yes - Carolyn - it is VILE here. I know a guy who consults for farms and stuff and he said he didn't even keep a garden when he lived in South Carolina because of the diseases.

The wilt attacked and infected my blackberries with such force and power that it made me incredibly sad. And it even made the WILD blackberries up the road from my mom's house have the wilt, too. It's powerful stuff. It might've even cross contaminated my blueberries, too. :/

I might be more inclined to grow heirlooms, or try to, were I on my own property. My other issue is that I garden at my mother's, so I really don't have the capability of providing really good, nutrient dense compost or compost tea to try to combat the negative nematodes and fungus and bacteria with the good stuff without spending an arm and a leg to buy it from someone who does. She's 20 minutes away on a good day, and I have two kids I have to cart along and limited space at my own place to be able to do any brewing or compost cooking. Well. That and my landlord said, "no compost bins," because he's a jerk.

mamaboog is offline   Reply With Quote