Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 15, 2016   #16
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Chris.

So I set some glue traps and a few of the old school spring traps and last night I caught 3 in total. 1 large adult rat and 2 smaller rats. I still cant figure out how the larger rat got inside???
Im also going to set more glue traps since I have to assume there are more out there somewhere.
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #17
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

I got 2 more rats this morning in sticky traps.
200_s.gif
Old May 17, 2016   #18
ChrisPlano
Tomatovillian™

Good for you! We thought they were under control but chased a small one with the dogs last night. He got away but hopefully is partaking of the bait traps. Ick!
ChrisPlano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2016   #19
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

No rats trapped in 2 days and no new evidence of rat damage. Im keeping the traps in the garden in case they have friends that come back in the future. Another threat thwarted at least for now.
Old May 18, 2016   #20
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I always have this trouble. Field mice, bunnies...And our pups go after it and not great for them, actually toxic.
I do dig it in a bit and cover with big rocks. I've got some harwarecloth and chicken wire
aprox 18inch squares cut with tin snips leaving the edges spikey. Hold down with big rocks.
And try and do the deed before a good rain shower. It seems to loose its 'stink' once wetted. At least most goes where we want it...to the plants roots.

You might try an Osmocote (sp) type fert that is slow release. Does not have the attractive, to them, scent.

The DIY 5 gallon bucket set-ups are fun traps. We had a contest last summer trying different internet, youtube ideas for the barn field mice.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2016   #21
ChrisPlano
Tomatovillian™

Oakley, just double checking that "it" = TomatoTone? Using rocks to cover the side dressing for a bit of time is a great idea! I have misc bricks laying around that would do the trick.

Does Osmocote have a tomato-specific fertilizer? With the right ratios and all the extra tomato-loving stuff? I'm still determined to stay organic, but I know that osmocote was the "go to" for big planter flower pots, etc for all of my green thumb friends and even a landscaper friend. I haven't researched what they have these days.

From what I've read, Tomato tone is not actually toxic to dogs. I would not want them eating a whole bag of the stuff but I do catch them eating bits of it at the edge of the garden, even though I've scraped it in with a fork, tried to water it in and covered it with mulch. Have you read differently? Please let me know if you have. Our dogs are our babies :-)
ChrisPlano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cayenne pepper , rats , tomato tone