Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 27, 2018   #16
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Robert, I am not sure how that will work with onions. I know some guys up here that grow them in soil in fields use CaNO3, I think thats about it. They grow some monster onions too. I grow some in my garden, and just use a basic fert. mine are nothing like my friends.
At 15.5-0-0 the CaNO3 for onions makes sense to me too. Calcium Nitrate is cheap to buy. I looked it up on Amazon and it's $12.80 for a 5 pound bag. There is a mom & pop nursery nearby that most likely sells it even cheaper.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2018   #17
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Normally it should be written on the bag of mix how much this and that it has, it should have at least some, in stores here the cheap mixes usually have borderline too much. For seedlings the pH seems to be super important, quality stuff is always a must for them if you want good growth. The best seedlings I have seen have been grown (by someone not me) in just pure peat (ph adjusted etc of course), with osmocote start mixed in recommended amounts at the beginning, seems to take the guessing out of the equation and is enough for a normal age seedling.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2018   #18
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

https://www.promixgardening.com/en/p...egetables-herb

Above is the link to their list of ingredients. It says it has "organic fertilizer". What a cop out to not tell us more!!!! I'm sure this version of Pro Mix was more explicit about the content a couple of years ago. I was happy with it and bought more (in their new packaging). As I said before, it works well enough for my container tomatoes.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2018   #19
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info, Mark.

Salt, mycogrow might be another answer to your original question. It is at least inexpensive to try:
https://fungi.com/products/mycogrow_soluble
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2018   #20
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

I would love to find that organic variety pictured. I have looked for it everywhere and no one I've checked here in the Bay Area stocks it at all.

I use Promix HP in my earthboxes. I purchase from the local grow store down the street. It has always seemed to me to have practically nothing - very sterile mix. I add the nutrients. I also sift through a strainer and add perlite and vermiculite for seed starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Those are beautiful Mark.

I have big bags of the 4-18-38, 15.5-0-0 CaNO3, and MgSO4 Epsom Salt. This thread was started last night as I saw a difference happening with onion seeds. (The thread is in the Alliums section http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=48353 ) I started with pro mix and watered when needed for a month and had 4 seedlings come up. A couple of days ago, I watered using the 4-18-38, 15.5-0-0 CaNO3, and MgSO4 Epsom Salt, and today, there are many onion seedlings popping up.

The pro mix was bought at Walmart. I didn't see a brand name - I'll show a picture.

Carolyn, for years, my parents bought cow manure and used 10-10-10 in their gardens The soil was black clay. My father called it, "Black Gumbo". I just looked it up and it isn't one of his pet names he used to make up We had vegetable gardens that produced very well, and flowerbeds that were absolutely beautiful. He also used fish emulsion in the flowerbeds...40 years later, I can still remember what the fish emulsion smelled like.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote