Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 12, 2007   #1
PeteD
Tomatovillian™

Default Good Sweet to Mildly Hot Pepper for New England?

I am looking for some suggestions for peppers that may do well in zone 6. By do well, I mean "taste good". I have tried to grow bell peppers (California Wonder last year) in two separate years with the resulting peppers lacking in the taste department.

Any sweet to mildly hot suggestions for New England or similar climes would be greatly appreciated.

I am thinking of starting my peppers 10 to 12 weeks early this year to get a jump on the growing season as well.

Thanks,
Pete
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2007   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I've also had a hard time with bells. I've pretty much given up on them and grow pimentos in their place, as an all purpose pepper. I like them raw because they're very sweet when the ripen to their final color and they have thick walls. For frying or grilling, I prefer a frying type with thinner walls for quick cooking. All the pimento varieties I've grown take a long time. I never eat them green, so maybe someone further north can recommend a specific variety for you. I like Sheepnose but am trying Red Cheese this year. Have you tried banana peppers? They're like a frying pepper but a lighter green color. They ripen to an orange/red color and I think they might do well for you up north. As for a mildly hot pepper, TAM jalapeno might interest you. It has only a little heat.
Old January 12, 2007   #3
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Alma Paprika ripens for me in MT and has just a little heat...The peppers aren't very large, but production is good and the plants are not too large...Anaheim types do well too, and often develop some heat...Tangerine Pimento is very good, but no heat...For bells that ripen in a short season try Earlired and Neopolitan, however both will be much thinner skinned than a "normal" bell.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2007   #4
PeteD
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't tried anything but bells yet, but I will try a couple of other types this year.

The Tam Jalapeno looks very interesting. I need to check out some of the others.
Old January 12, 2007   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Go for the longer shaped sweets - Sweet Banana, Sweet Hungarian - or the slightly broader Gypsy and Cubanelle - then there are varieties such as Lipstick and Super Shepherd....finally, the most slender of all, Jimmy Nardello. I've found that these types yield much more heavily than the bells.
Old January 18, 2007   #6
PeteD
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will try Jimmy Nardello, Alma Paprika, and one of the Jals this year...

Pete
Old January 20, 2007   #7
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

I highly recommend Spanish Spice Hybrid. It has taken the place of Cubanelle and Gypsy in my garden. Incredible flavor if left until fully ripe and good green flavor too. Raw or cooked it is the best.

JohnT
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2007   #8
wilderness1989
Tomatovillian™

Try Carmen hybrid from Tomatoe Growers Supply, it's the best we have ever had. #9088 http://www.tomatogrowers.com/sweet.htm
Old January 21, 2007   #9
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Mariachi Hybrid has been good for me this year. Also from TGS
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote