Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old September 5, 2015   #1
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Default Looking for pumpkin pie filling

for the first time, I've grown pumpkins. A friend gave me 4 pumpkin starts. I got one pumpkin from each plant, which cracks me up because there were 4 plants, which produced 4 pumpkins and there are 4 of us. Anyways, I'm looking for an easy foolproof recipe for pumpkin pie filling that I can freeze for holiday use. Tried looking on allrecipes.com, but there was too much arguing about oven vs stovetop. I'm a decent cook, but a lousy baker, so I need something idiot-proof. Thanks!
Carriehelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2015   #2
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Carrie, I changed the title of the thread so folks could see what you are looking for. I would love a great sweet potato pie recipe. I ate some at a potluck last year (my first time ever) and loved it. The recipe I tried to make it was not so good. I'm rambling here but the best pumpkin pie I ever had was from butternut squash. And it's been a long time since I made that pie, so no recipe. Hopefully, someone who has more recent successful experience will chime in.
Old September 5, 2015   #3
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Lol, thanks Barb. I was looking at the title with a completely confused expression. Wow, Tville is magic
Old September 5, 2015   #4
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

I follow the Libby's recipe, but replace the canned pumpkin with my own puree. I like it, as does everyone I've given pumpkin pie to, so I'm going with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I freeze 3.5 cups of just puree per freezer bag. I thaw the puree and mix the rest of the ingredients when I want to bake pies (or muffins, or cheesecake...)

To puree the pumpkins, I steam them until a fork can go through the flesh with no resistance, scrape the flesh from the skins, and put them in a blender and blend until smooth. I let the puree cool to room temp and then pack into freezer bags. Lay flat on a tray and put in the freezer and freeze hard.
SummerSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2015   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Guys this is crazy at this very minute I am eating my own chunky sweet potato pudding.
I have four of these well now three.

It has cinnamon allspice clove mace nutmeg ginger sugar butter and cornstarch.
This is basically what is in pumpkin pie spice.

I wish I could tell you how but I cant but I can repeat it.
Get your basic sweet potato pumpkin or butternut squash recipe and use these spices.
dont over do the mace clove or nutmeg.
Ad the amount of sugar and spices the way you like it to taste and you are good to go.
Easy.

Libby's is close but no cigar on the spices.

Worth
IMG_20150905_28814.jpg

Last edited by Worth1; September 5, 2015 at 07:53 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2015   #6
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

My family loves my recipe for pumpkin pie

Makes 1- 9" deep dish pie

Prepare your favorite pie crust for a deep dish 9" pie. Pre-bake for 10 minutes. Use pie weights in bottom to prevent crust shrinkage

Filling:
2 cups smooth pumpkin puree (make sure your pumpkin/sqush was drained well of extra liquid after baking etc)
3 large eggs
1 cup packed dark brown sugar (be sure to use dark brown)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 tbsp. corn starch
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp ground white pepper
1/4 tsp fresh grated orange peel (organic orange)
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup evaporated milk

Mix pumpkin puree, eggs, and drk brown sugar. maple syrup
Add: cornstarch, salt, spices, orange peel, pepper, cream and evaporated milk

whisk together well till combined. Let sit overnight in fridge for flavors to mingle

Pour into prebaked pie shell filling 3/4 way to top

Bake @ 375 for 55 - 65 minutes till the center of filling is a bit wobbly in middle. (Check pie for doneness after the first 55 minutes.)

Tip: Cover crust with pie shield or tin foil after 25 minutes of baking
Filling Freezes well

Ginny

Last edited by barefootgardener; September 5, 2015 at 09:06 PM.
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2015   #7
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Worth your sweet potato pudding looks and sounds divine. Thank's for the tips.
Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
Worth your sweet potato pudding looks and sounds divine. Thank's for the tips.
Ginny
Your recipe is spot on it has nutmeg cloves ginger white pepper orange peel and cinnamon in it.
This is old school spices used many years ago.
Not many people use pepper in sweet foods and have no idea what nutmeg is used for but eggnog.
When I say sugar I mean brown sugar unless I say white sugar.
Pepper to me means old world pepper not chilies.

And your welcome.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2015   #9
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Simple recipe I wrote down that my mother used when I was growing up, passed down from her mother. I'm going to ask her tomorrow when I see her it if it looks right. I showed it to her once because it didn't seem to come out quite as well as when she made it, and she did say she'd probably put in a little less of something. Like an absent minded professor I never wrote the change down, but I believe she said a little less sugar. Plus, I came to the conclusion it's the oven I'm cooking in that's the problem, not the recipe. When I originally wrote the recipe it was over the phone from her recollection, but I'm sure it's just about spot on. I normally don't like pumpkin pie, except when it's in line with this recipe.

Fat can of pumpkin - solid packed, not the mix. Although I see you grew your own.
6 eggs
1 can condensed milk
3 cups of sugar
At least one teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Pour into two pie dishes
Sprinkle cinnamon on top, swirl with butter knife or spoon
Bake 350 degrees 50 minutes to an hour (Use toothpick to check when its done. When it comes out clean, it's done.)

Don't get me wrong, this recipe still comes out well for me, just not as well as when she makes it. Has to be my oven. I've noticed also the pie tastes better after it's been in the fridge over night. Not the case when she makes it, as it always taste the same. Again, has to be the cheap oven in my apartment. Cheap landlords. Cheap appliances, they take months and months to fix things, and raise the rent year to year.

If she tells me to change anything in the recipe I'll edit this post tomorrow if it lets me.

Last edited by OmahaJB; September 5, 2015 at 10:24 PM.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2015   #10
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I have both pumpkins and butternut squash in the garden. Going to try all of these. And Ginny, it's gotta be that cup of heavy cream
Old September 6, 2015   #11
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone.

Worth, that is a crazy coincidence

Ginny, how do I make the purée? You said after baking so I assume I'm cooking the pumpkin in the oven?
Old September 6, 2015   #12
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

Aaaaaaaannnnddd with maple syrup, you have me convinced to try a new recipe. I make maple syrup every winter/spring, I have about four gallons to go through this year. I can't use it all on pancakes and candy...

Plus, I'm very curious about these so-called "old school" spices

The only downside here is that I'm going to actually have to go buy pumpkins this year. They grow fantastic for me, but this year the bull broke the latch on the gate and let the whole herd out. They ate/trampled my whole sweetcorn and pumpkin plot. So many lovely pie and carving pumpkins smashed...

I've tried baking pumpkins, and usually my whole house gets unbearably hot before they actually cook all the way. I like steaming better, it takes less time for me (about thirty minutes) and it seems like make the pumpkins release their juices. They aren't runny for me after I scrape them, anyway. They puree beautifully.
SummerSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #13
mcool61
Tomatovillian™

I make pies from squash. I cook it down on the stove top as thick as possible(this makes pumpkin & squash more flavorful & gets some of the moisture out) without burning & splattering & burning me. It is better than pumpkin in my opinion. This year I grew what are called white crook neck pumpkins which are like a large gourd or huge all white cushaw. I got the seed at Baker Creek a couple years ago. They called it Illinois squash.
When I was a kid we would argue over who got the pumpkin pie when we were at grandma's. One time she was watching me & gave me a piece of pie & I said boy Grandma, that pumpkin pie was really good. She said that was squash pie. I said, but I don't like squash pie. Grandma was grinning & said "too late. You already admitted it." It turned out to be a really good deal because I had no competition for the squash pie so would always hang back & ask for that. Often I got a second piece when others didn't because the pumpkin pie was all gone. I kept that squash pie being better to myself. Now you know. Confession is good for the soul or so they say. Sorry cousins
mcool61 is offline   Reply With Quote