Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 23, 2017   #1
worldtraveler
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Worms in Thailand

So,

I am nearly ready to pull my 7 foot tall tomato plants. The worm problem not only affects my tomatoes, but my Thai Peppers too. Something is getting in early, since only when you pick a ripe one can you see numerous holes around the area of the stem.

You can see what they look like on the YouTube Video.

If you can't access it directly from here, just go to YouTube and put in this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rah_43b5CpQ
worldtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2017   #2
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I can see why you are so very frustrated. Those are just terrible. I would try using some diatomaceous earth if you can find it. Bacillus thuringiensis is also an organic control for caterpillars and worms. I have also used Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs mixed with water into a sprayer with great results. Whatever you choose, do not spray your plants in the direct sun, wait until dawn or dusk to avoid burning your plants. Most likely you will need to repeat your treatments.
Old March 23, 2017   #3
worldtraveler
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Worms in Thailand

They are actually fruit fly maggots!!

I am ordering a trap to see if I can get them under control. I will have to remove all the set fruit as they are infected already and hope the new set fruit will be maggot free.
worldtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #4
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I never would have guessed! I had no clue as to what they were. If you can find them, yellow sticky traps would work too. These you can also place around the plants. Those are just awful. I have never seen the larvae before, just the little ole bug.
Old March 24, 2017   #5
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I would think that they are attracted to overripe fruit so I would remove all ripe and over ripe tomatoes and peppers from the area in the hope of removing eggs and developing larvae.

Bury it if you can't use it to keep it from supporting more flies.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote