Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old October 31, 2016   #1
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Default Help,devastating disease

It started just as a few dot-like growths on leaves from one of the tomatoes,but now it has spread on other plants.Not only that,but it's spreading faster than anything I've ever seen.The photos below show the growths that appear on the underside of the leaves of one of the plants,but they also appear on the upperside,but less frequently.The leaf on the photo was competely healthy just 2 days ago.These growths do not seem to be mold,but rather like the plant itself is making them,which makes me suspect it's viral.It is as if the plants are disintegrating themselves.I'm sorry that I can't post more close-up pictures due to technical issues.I hope someone can identify this horrible disease
http://i.imgur.com/WYSJcti.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XvvMkGY.jpg

I linked the pics because they are large(for allowing better inspection).Also I repeat this is NOT any kind of mold because it looks like it on the pictures.
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2016   #2
FredB
Tomatovillian™

Could it be some sort of mite or tiny insect forming galls on the leaves? Here in the central US, we are having a severe outbreak of oak gall mites, and this could be something similar. Viruses usually cause yellow spots or make the leaves twist into odd shapes, and your pictures don't show either of these symptoms. The pattern of the bumps looks more like insect feeding or egg-laying.
FredB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2016   #3
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I have never seen ANYTHING like that and I hope that I never do!
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2016   #4
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Looks to me like edema. Have you been over watering?
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2016   #5
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredB View Post
Could it be some sort of mite or tiny insect forming galls on the leaves? Here in the central US, we are having a severe outbreak of oak gall mites, and this could be something similar. Viruses usually cause yellow spots or make the leaves twist into odd shapes, and your pictures don't show either of these symptoms. The pattern of the bumps looks more like insect feeding or egg-laying.
I just looked under magnification at the lesions(which I came to conclude they are) and I could't see any critters moving around.I am still not ruling out some sort of insect doing this since it's spreading so fast.I hope someone else might recognize this.Ugh I can't belive it...deal with one disease and here comes another new one,so frustrating
Old October 31, 2016   #6
imp
Tomatovillian™

Looks like most are on veins or vascular lines either a possible viral thing or a minute bug that likes juices?
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2016   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I'm thinking edema too.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2016   #8
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Looks to me like edema. Have you been over watering?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger277
I'm thinking edema too.
Yes this seems to fit the symptoms.The plants were actually transplanted recently into a soil that was pretty wet.I will wait for soil to dry out a bit and see if this fixes the problem.I will inform if there are any changes.